Author Topic: rookie Chiappa Spencer QUESTIONS planning to buy help /info requested  (Read 100 times)

Offline nb.nagantsniper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hello from Canada

lately ive been interested   to get a Spencer,  up in Canada there few and original shooter models are very  pricy.

ive  got a  lead  on a reenactor group, with 4  or 5  CHIAPPA spencer rifles  -- all   in 44-40,   30 inch barrels.   ive seen  and read all the down falls of the chiappa s  ,

my questions .
q1  starting off  could i  buy  factory 44-40 ammo, then plan  to  reload brass and mold my own lead bullets

are the Chiappa  Spencer  ok an safe with factory made modern smokeless powder  ammo?

q2  what  dies / bullet molds would be my best buy / best bet for use in reloading for a Chiappa  in 44-40 ??

any  advise  on Chiappa Spencers  in general,  its the only game in town  it seems . ??? ??? ???

Offline Cap n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • Liked:
Re: rookie chiappa spencer QUESTIONS planning to buy help /info requested
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »
Q1:  Yes, the Chiappa Spencer is perfectly capable of handling smokeless factory ammo.  I would advise you to avoid the Winchester brand semi-jacketed ammo, as it is loaded with undersize bullets (.425") so that it may be safely fired in old original .44-40 rifles.  I guess the Chiappa Spencer-barrels measure around .430".
Get lead flat-nose ammo if you can.

Q2:  LEE Precision 3-die sets are probably your best buy.  They also include the shellholder.  (LEE # 14)
  You do not need to buy the LEE Factory Crimp die; it will ruin your case-necks in short order.
If you plan on reloading with blackpowder you should also avoid the LEE bulletmolds; they have shallow grease-grooves and will not hold enough lube for extended shooting with a 30" barrel. 
The Lyman steel moldblocks have generous grease-grooves and will work better with blackpowder loads.

Other than that I can only encourage you to read all relevant info on this Spencer-forum.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline nb.nagantsniper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: rookie chiappa spencer QUESTIONS planning to buy help /info requested
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 03:57:28 PM »
thanks  for the info,    i  currently reload for my modern  (  ww1  an ww2 ere) rifles,   and black powder rifles  ( martini  , snider, and   swiss vetterli )  and do  muzzleloading and cast  bullets an ball.

always prefer to  get the info   before  diving in, learning from others is better than learning from my own  mistakes. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2020 CAScity.com