Author Topic: Winchester 1873 finger lever question  (Read 1315 times)

Offline RockingR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 1873 finger lever question
« on: June 20, 2020, 08:07:34 PM »
I am new here to the forums and have been asking a lot of questions regarding gunsmithing  and reloading and now this forum. I have a 73 Winchester in 44-40. Having problems with the headspace and extracting.Got the rifle disassembled  and was checking parts and wear on them. Well the finger lever has a  small round knob on the left side which looks worn that engages with left spring. Is the knob suppose to be completely  round or is it suppose to be worn some. I believe it is suppose to hold the lever up after the finger lever is returned  to the ready to fire position. Anyone know of a good competent gunsmith that does work on them?Is there anyone who reworks them? Thanks I appreciate all your replies and, any help you can give me.

Offline RockingR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Winchester 1873 finger lever question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 12:13:42 PM »
upon closer examination,  I found the finger lever problem. The knob is actually a pin, (finger lever cam) which appears worn. One problem down. Now just finding a replacement.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »
Try Lee's gun parts in Texas.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:46:12 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1198
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 05:12:35 PM »
upon closer examination,  I found the finger lever problem. The knob is actually a pin, (finger lever cam) which appears worn. One problem down. Now just finding a replacement.

If the issue is that the lever won't stay closed, the spring that bears on the cam is also part of the picture.  Is the attachment screw for that spring tight?  And if a stronger spring would do the trick, it might be an easier fix than replacing the cam.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com