Author Topic: Pietta 1860 shoulder stock screw thread pitch?  (Read 3117 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Re: Pietta 1860 shoulder stock screw thread pitch?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 03:44:29 PM »
Abilene is right. The deeper threaded hole first, then the short one.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »
Jack Wagon, what is the purpose of the brass rod?  Wack it with hammer to seat balls?

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 09:01:31 PM »
Abilene, That brass rod is my onboard wedge tool and ejector for my Howell non gated conversion cylinder. Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:17:10 AM »

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 09:09:15 PM »
Thanx Guys,

That clears up my questions. Now all I have to do is get up the gumption to take my limited tools and even more limited skills and have at those screws.

Reverend Chase

Offline Oldgold

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 05:28:31 AM »
Anyone know the thread size for those screws?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 09:49:53 AM »

:)  Oldgold  ;)

Certainly.  Most happy to Oblige.  They are Short/Tiny/Thin. 

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  I have no clue.  Never even tempted to find out.  After re-cutting the screwdriver slot and radically thinning the screw head, I just put 'em back in with RED LocTite and forget about them.

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 01:11:44 PM »
I have seen both originals and reproduction revolvers with screws that the head is only about 1/32” thick to keep it from going too far in. Easy enough fix.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2021, 04:14:17 PM »
Howdy all (again),

As a point of interest, it is my understanding that, once a gated conversion is performed on the sixgun, it is federally illegal to be in possession of a shoulder stock. Too bad as that would be very cool. I'm not sure if it is a problem if the loading channel is not cut.

FYI and anyone please chime in if I'm misinformed.

Rev. Chase
ps: I got rid of my shoulder stock before my dragoon was converted. 

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 06:51:25 PM »
It's illegal to have it attached.   Even with a drop cylinder conversion ( non- gated ) it would be illegal with the cartridge cylinder installed. Ida kept my shoulder stock if I had one!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 10:15:35 PM »
Howdy Dragoon and all,

I think the possession problem is when the cartridge channel has been cut. Without the cut and the percussion cylinder and shoulder stock - no problem. With a non-gated cylinder and no cartridge cut, I don't think possession of an unmounted stock is a problem. However, my legal opinion my be invalid as my expertise is advertising (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express).

Rev. Chase

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2021, 06:29:25 AM »
Rev.,
  Yes, the frame becomes the firearm when provision for using the gate is done ( opening up the recoil shield).  Likewise, as long as a "drop cylinder" is installed in a B.P. revolver, it is a firearm. Therefore, a stock is illegal in that instance as well.  What you're saying is just possession of a stock while owning a gated conversion makes you a criminal .  .  .   I'd say "show me the statute".  I'm not saying you're wrong, it just makes absolutely no sense unless  a.) It's a " new" law or  b) you can show intent.

I would think installation of shaved 4th screws ( or buttons)  in your gated  frame (removing the provision) would/should satisfy any such law. Thus, you couldn't ever use the stock on that frame and allow you possession of the stock.

I don't own a stock nor care to but  it's amazing how far some will go for just "that little bit" of control over somebody else. Do you have to register your stock? Lol!!  (Interesting)

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2021, 09:44:26 AM »
Howdy 45,

I can't "show" you the statute. As I said, I have no legal expertise, but I remember that years ago there was a big stink about Luger and Mauser stocks. I think that has changed. I was advised about the stock situation by an FFL holder whose opinion I respect(ed). He's no longer with us, so I can't refer to him.

Like you, I didn't really want the stock anyway. I was mentioning the situation as I understood it to get a discussion opened in the hope that it could be clarified or debunked. Frankly I have never seen a definitive answer. I suppose one could contact the ATF and ask the question, but I fall into the group that says: "you don't wake up a snake to kill it".

Rev. Chase

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »
Lol!!! I hear ya Rev. !!

Good post!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2021, 10:08:22 AM »
 :)  BATTER UP !! Put Me In Coach  ;)

Here we are in Grey Matter.  No, not the runny grey stuff in yer head.  That Grey area where the "Law" is ambiguous.

In Grosest Brittania, should you exit the Pub with Car Keys in hand, it shows "intent" and one is subject to immediate arrest.  Same Same walking down the street at night with Crow Bar in hand.  Intent.  That does not apply here.  At least not in any court.

Performing a Cartridge Conversion involving a loading slot thru the Recoil Shield is "Manufacturing a Firearm Without License."  Legal so long as you do it for yourself.  If you try to sell it you become an Unlicensed Firearms Dealer and the BATFE will take great interest in you.  That is one Bear you DO NOT want to poke.  BATFE take no prisoners and have NO sense of humor what-so-ever.  Now, possessing that shoulder stock is not criminal.  Attaching that shoulder stock is. 

Doing a conversion with a "Drop in" does NOT manufacture a Firearm.  A percussion gun, only becomes a firearm with the cylinder installed.  DO NOT attach the stock with the cartridge cylinder installed.  BATFE again.

Now the problem.  You cannot and will not get a definitive answer to an ambiguous question from BATFE.  If you ask the same question of 3 BATFE agents, you WILL get at least FOUR different answers, driven by interpretation.  However, if only ONE of them determines you have committed and offense, it's Bracelets time.  Remember, BATFE has NO sense of humor.  It was surgically removed at birth.  DO NOT poke the bear.

There can be varying opine on parts of this topic.  But an opinion is like certain body parts.  Here is the question, do YOU want to spend every dime you can beg, borrow, or steal, defending yourself in court??  DO NOT poke this Bear.  YOU WILL LOSE!!

STAY SAFE OUT THERE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2021, 10:56:59 AM »
Thanx Dragoon and Coffin,

Coffinmaker's post exactly capsulizes my thoughts and concerns. In my experience, those who are given the responsibility of enforcing the law frequently don't really know the statutes. That is particularly true when asking for an opinion on a law. It seems a lot like the default answer always is "no and why do you ask?" Best to avoid the whole discussion with officials so as to avoid becoming a "manacle depressive".

Rev. Chase

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com