Author Topic: Some thoughts on the Schofield (and other No. 3 S&Ws)  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Some thoughts on the Schofield (and other No. 3 S&Ws)
« on: December 08, 2019, 09:53:03 PM »
I have been somewhat taken with the top break S&Ws since I first got the Navy Arms .44-40 for a CC article in 1996.  since then I have owned and original first Model Russian (American Grip), two original 2nd and 3rd Model Russians, and have had half a dozen Uberti Schofields and No. 3 Russians (mostly for short time as article guns.)  Of my 25 years in CAS, probably half a dozen, a Uberti No. 3 was one of my pair of pistols.

The top break S&W was a remarkable weapon for the time.  With its speed of reloading, it was much like the "Wonder Nines" compared to standard police issue revolvers in the 1980s and 1990s.  Back when I was a Civil War Cavalry re-enactor (2002 to 2010), i tried loading a 1873 Colt SAA and an 1875 Schofield on horseback.  I rode a standard McClellan cavalry saddle.  I loaded them both sitting still on the horse, at a walk, and also at a trot.   There was NO comparison! 

With me holding reins and revolver in the left hand and loading with the right from a pistol cartridge pouch on the belt.  Sitting still on the horse, the 1873 was not too bad, but the 1875 was easier.  At a walk on the horse, unloading was a little more difficult than standing still, and I dropped rounds trying to load the 1873. With the 1875 - unloading was still easy, and loading was still fairly easy.   At a trot, I was unable to reload the 1873, as unloading was almost impossible.  I was able to easily unload the 1875, and also able to load the 1875 (though did drop a few round at the trot).

The unloading and loading speed of the No. 3 was its strong point.  Contrary to what one would think from watching a SASS match, 99.9% of the time, folks out West only carried one pistol.  Even at the gunfight at the OK Corral, the combatants were all only armed with a single pistol.  I imagine there were times when someone expecting a "super-sized helping" of trouble might stick a second revolver inside their belt.  By and large, if you used more than 5 or 6 bullets, you had to reload.

The list of S&W No. 3 shooters (at one time or another) is impressive:  Jessie James, Buffalo Bill Cody, Billy the Kid, Texas Jack Omuhandru, John Wesley Hardin, Dallas Stoudenmire, Virgil Earp, Theodore Roosevelt, Pat Garret, Bob Ford, and on and on.  In numbers sold, the Smith & Wesson big bore top breaks were second only to the Colt Single Action.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Some thoughts on the Schofield (and other No. 3 S&Ws)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 05:07:34 AM »
Here is hoping you will hang on to this one...I believe in the old adage

"If you love something, let it go. If it returns, it?s yours; if it doesn?t, it wasn?t.
If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they?re yours; if they don?t they never were. "

I have two #3's  a new model ( I personally think is the best looking of the lot...
and the Original 2nd model Russian I bought from you , sorry that one will not be coming back to you  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:56:06 AM »
I really am hoping!  When He had given me back the .44 Colt, I had planned on keeping the 1872 .44 Open Top author gun when the time was up to make a "keeper pair".  With him getting the 44 Colt back and giving me the Schofield, it changes things up.  Sure, I could keep the 1872 and load another caliber. 

Now I have a different idea.  I already have another 1860 Kirst Saber River Konverter set, so rather than pay the $430 for the 1872 author gun, I'll pick up a Pietta 1860 for the Konverter for $279 at Cabellas.  Then I will have Open Top and Top Break, both in .45.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:08:53 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Dave Fox

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 07:28:35 PM »
Believe the revolver Wyatt Earp used at the OK Corral confrontation was a #3 S&W American he carried in a canvas-lined coat pocket, the gun given him by a Tombstone newspaper editor.

Offline Old No7

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 07:18:30 AM »
Great post! Love the Schofield!

Here's mine with elk stag grips...

Not mine... (nice web image)

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 09:59:09 AM »
I acquired this DA 44 in 2006 from a dear friend now passed. (It's not going anywhere while I am alive!)

It has been replated  therefore not of interest to a serious collector.  But it is a very nice shooter.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com