Author Topic: New Remington #10 caps  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
New Remington #10 caps
« on: March 25, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »
I just opened up a tin of Remington #10 caps. I tried loading them in all my straight line cappers--both Cash & Taylors (which I think are made by Pedersoli)--and about 60% of them were too tall and hung up in the both manufacturers cappers. Also tried them in two Cash snail cappers with mixed success. I bought these about two years ago and watched the store owner take them out of a new case which had just arrived. I bought 10 tins from that batch. So I had to try all 100 caps in that first tin--very tedious--and for a cure I lightly grasped each long cap in a pair of wire strippers and ran a file over the open end a couple passes. This seemed to work and so far I have all my fingers ;)! I've yet to try the rest from that batch. I also bought a case of Remington #10s last year and sure hope I don't have to do this 5,000 times. Anyone else run into this?
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: New Remington #10 caps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 03:38:15 PM »
Recon they're 11's in the wrong tin?

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 03:59:36 PM »
IIRC the only difference between a Rem #10 and the #11 is the #10 is a bit longer in order to grab the smaller nipples a little lower down on the tapered cones (nipples). I believe the Remington 10 & 11 are of the same diameter. I have about a half dozen+ in-line cappers and 2 or 3 are very fussy about the #10s, another 2 or 3 hold them just fine without any snags. The rest are "iffy". I feel blessed that I still have fine motor skills and can cap my guns bare handed without cappers unless there is a timed reload (which has become extremely rare these days). Some of my cappers are what I'd call "off brand" picked up cheap at gun shows and trading tables at matches. The Ted Cash snail cappers work OK with the #10s in my experience but I have not bought a new or used capper in several years. I have marked the good cappers with a dot of white fingernail polish for matches.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:17:01 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 07:40:35 PM »

I buy my Caps in case lots as well.  All I use are Ted Cash snail cappers.  I have (Knock on Wood) never had the problem you describe. 

Yep, the only difference in #10 ad #11 is the #10 is just a scootch longer then the 11.  As mentioned by hellgate, the longer skirt is to grip tapered cones just a bit farther down.

I are gonna hope I continue to NOT have the problem you describe.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:18 AM »
I had this problem about 2 to 2.5 years ago.   Tin was labeled Remington #11.  I dumped the tin into my snail capper as so many times before.  righted the ones that needed to be corrected and noticed that when closing, it seemed a bit off.    I wrote it off as imagination and headed to family farm to shoot.  Glad I did not do this at a group function.   Tried to get caps to feed, no luck, tried to open, NO LUCK!   They were tall enough that when I closed it it had really jammed up the mix.   I am not by nature a patient or delicate man, and I really wanted to shoot.   Well, by the time I got it open, capper was ruined and none of the caps would work on the nipples.   I had just enough caps in an old tin to fire off the five I had loaded and that was it.   I was royally ticked off.   I had to clean the gun having only fired 5 times, in anger the capper was in two pieces and the internals were somewhere in the barn and I spent ten minutes picking up ruined caps out of the dirt.   I fired off a terse email to Remington and did get a tin of 11s that were really 11s.   I have switched to inline cappers, which can be frustrating to load, but are more forgiving and if you get a high one, you know it.    I think I am up to 15 or 16 straight line cappers.   People stare when I pull them out.   

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 08:51:17 AM »
Between my wife and I we have probably 20 straight cappers. Some of them do not like the taller #10's so I mark them with a magic marker and use them for my #11's. Recently we have bought some that are actually marketed for #10's.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »
My issue is these same cappers have been working with Remington #10s for at least five years--they are the only ones I buy-- and this never happened even once. The bad caps could actually be inserted into the cappers but wouldn't budge when trying to load the next cap. All eight straight line cappers reacted the same.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 06:25:28 PM »
It's startin' to look like a long batch of caps. I hope they haven't changed their dimensions other than by accident. I'd write or call Remington and ask about it. Take some measurements before calling.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »
While not having to do directly with the Remington Cap question, I've used Remington #10's for years as my only percussion cap with no issues.  Noting that you all refer to using the typical snail and straight line cappers, I though I'd mention my recent purchase of a Polish Capper.  If you're not aware of them, they do come directly from Poland and are the best capper I've ever seen or used.  They're machined from a solid piece of brass and are incredibly sturdy.  They also work on Remington cap guns as well as Colts and Rugers, while holding in excess of 100 percussion caps.  They cost about $50 including shipping and are worth every cent and then some.

www.polishcappers.com
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 06:03:34 PM »
I also purchased the Polish capper.  Best quality I have seen and works flawlessly.  And much cheaper than buying 20 cappers.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 09:25:20 AM »

:) Well ... KRAPOLA   ;)

A season or two ago, I had opportunity to try a "Polish Capper" and had somewhat pourer results.  Apparently, I didn't understand loading and holding and capping with it because while capping the first time at the loading table, it opened and dumped the whole load of caps on the table.  I gave it back.

I have a lightly modified pair of Snail cappers been using for years without problem (knocks on wood) and have no reason to change.  Hopefully the OP's experience is just a tiny little glitch.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 04:26:25 PM »
Coffinmaker,

Perhaps they modified the design since that time.  The one I have has a locking thumbscrew to hold the lid in place.  No way to come open unless you just don't tighten it after filling.  It works great and now fiddling with getting the spring on the snail cappers bent and tensioned correctly.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Tequila Shooter

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 108079
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 07:31:46 PM »
:) Well ... KRAPOLA   ;)

A season or two ago, I had opportunity to try a "Polish Capper" and had somewhat pourer results.  Apparently, I didn't understand loading and holding and capping with it because while capping the first time at the loading table, it opened and dumped the whole load of caps on the table.  I gave it back.

I have a lightly modified pair of Snail cappers been using for years without problem (knocks on wood) and have no reason to change.  Hopefully the OP's experience is just a tiny little glitch.

Another nice thing is with a little shake the caps will all turn face up.  It does take a little practice getting the hand motion right to get just one cap to load.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com