Author Topic: Bore cleaning Boredom .  (Read 2581 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Bore cleaning Boredom .
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 05:40:47 AM »
Thank's to all for commenting .  Cliff I remember you saying that you had a 73 like this one , they handle great don't they .  On a dark bore I have found this to work better than anything else I have tried . Swab the bore with WD40 yep WD40 use old wore out bore brush that is a couple calibers smaller than the bore you are working on , then wrap it with pieces of  copper scrubber pad until it is big enough that it has to be squeezed into the bore (tight) . Work that back and forth until it gets easier , pull out wipe clean add more copper scrubbing pad to tighten up the fit again and do it over again until it is clean and shiny . I have used the fine steel wool and it is OK , the copper scrubber strings wrapped around the bore brush is by far the best way to clean old lead and Bp. carbon fouling . Hope everyone is doing good in these Crazy Times .  ,,DT

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 10:06:15 PM »
Thank's to all for commenting .  Cliff I remember you saying that you had a 73 like this one , they handle great don't they .  On a dark bore I have found this to work better than anything else I have tried . Swab the bore with WD40 yep WD40 use old wore out bore brush that is a couple calibers smaller than the bore you are working on , then wrap it with pieces of  copper scrubber pad until it is big enough that it has to be squeezed into the bore (tight) . Work that back and forth until it gets easier , pull out wipe clean add more copper scrubbing pad to tighten up the fit again and do it over again until it is clean and shiny . I have used the fine steel wool and it is OK , the copper scrubber strings wrapped around the bore brush is by far the best way to clean old lead and Bp. carbon fouling . Hope everyone is doing good in these Crazy Times .  ,,DT

Dusty, yes they handle nice. 24 inch barrel with the weighted feel more like a carbine. I've done the copper scrubbing pad method with pretty good success. I've just got a couple old ones that still are dark. Might not be any hope for them.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 08:49:10 AM »
The better materials you use the better your end result will be.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:18:50 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 07:24:33 AM »
The better materials you use the better your end result will be.
wM1
                                                  I agree with that . ,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com