Author Topic: oiling up the 1876  (Read 2391 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: oiling up the 1876
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 09:38:57 AM »
It's been so long ago since  I bought the Gum Turpentine , I had no idea that it had gotten so expensive . Lucky I still have about 6 OZ . left . Shot my old 76 in 50-95 yesterday and cleaned the bore out with Dawn&Water Cold Water , No Hot Water for me !  Then dried the bore . Swabbed it with the Ballistol. I will let it sit a couple of days then give it a wipe-out . No matter what I always clean my gun for the second time  a couple of days after the first cleaning . Don't mind doing it and gives me peace of mind .  Am I the only one that cleans their gun twice or three times ? ,,,DT

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »
"Am I the only one that cleans their gun twice or three times ?"

Naw sir!!  And I am a smokeless shooting heathen!!! Cleaning and checking up on shooting irons is soothing pass time.  I get some looks from younger folks when asked how often to clean one and I tell them every time you shoot it plus checking and wiping down between times.  It just makes ya feel better!! ;D

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
It's been so long ago since  I bought the Gum Turpentine , I had no idea that it had gotten so expensive . Lucky I still have about 6 OZ . left . Shot my old 76 in 50-95 yesterday and cleaned the bore out with Dawn&Water Cold Water , No Hot Water for me !  Then dried the bore . Swabbed it with the Ballistol. I will let it sit a couple of days then give it a wipe-out . No matter what I always clean my gun for the second time  a couple of days after the first cleaning . Don't mind doing it and gives me peace of mind .  Am I the only one that cleans their gun twice or three times ? ,,,DT

You're not alone, I'll do the same thing and especially on a gun I think will sit a while. Usually I don't find anything but I'll rewipe them and run a patch through the bore to remove/smear the Ballistol film in it. I clean with water too so makes me feel better that I didn't miss some moisture.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:36:53 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com