Author Topic: oiling up the 1876  (Read 2390 times)

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
oiling up the 1876
« on: February 13, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »
Greetings All,

Caught a rare moment today where life is allowing a little piddling.  Was in the gun supplies and conjured up the idea for topic here of what is your favorite gun oil/lubricant for the 76 rifle or rifles in general.  Reckon there might be a difference when shooting black powder or smokeless then again maybe not.  See, gets ya to thinking.  This has been talked about elsewhere in depth but here I am thinking of us who shoot the 76 specifically.  Now being a heathen who shoots smokeless powder (AA5744) in the 45-75 I clean my Uberti same as I would other rifles by using Hoppes solvent followed by Ballistol.  Now if I am storing for a while (seems to be the story here lately with family issues going on) I will follow these two with the old British gun treatment, Rangoon Oil.  Now Rangoon Oil is thick and doesn't volatilize quickly so acts as a sort of barrier that holds other thinner oils in place plus adds its own protection to the firearm.  Not easy to find, Rangoon Oil is out there from various places from time to time so I tend to do like other 76 supplies and stock up for when times are lean.

What, if I may ask, is your favorite products for keeping the 76 in top condition?!

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: oiling up the 1876
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 03:31:19 PM »
Hello Pinto Beans , thought you were retired . Lol. Where does all of that piddling time go ?   On the toggles and internal parts I use a grease , on the rest of the moving parts and the exterior , I use Hoppes Oil . ,,,DT

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:25:47 PM »
As with all my toggle link rifles internally in the links and action I use Lubriplate engine assembly lube. Also use it on certain areas and the main pin on my single actions too. For overall cleaning and lube I use Ballistol. I pretty much exclusively shoot black powder in them.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:55:15 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 05:53:48 AM »
16 oz . of Ballistol  landed on my doorstep yesterday . Will give it a try .  Is it best to cut it with water ?,,,DT

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 03:10:18 PM »
16 oz . of Ballistol  landed on my doorstep yesterday . Will give it a try .  Is it best to cut it with water ?,,,DT

A lot of people do but I've gotten to where I always clean the bore with straight water and then run a Ballistol patch down the bore and wipe and oil with a sparing amount of straight Ballistol on a rag. Usually use a q-tip or piece of rag dampened with Ballistol down in and around the lifter and bolt to get any residue cleaned up.

That's for black powder of course which is 90% of my shooting nowadays. I clean the heathen smokeless stuff with any number of these claimed to fame cleaners.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 05:53:03 PM »
keep me honest here folks, but isn't the 1 part Ballistol to 10 parts water the mix that is called 'moose milk' used in cleanup for black powder?  Think this is what Mr. Dusty is referencing.

Offline Highland Drifter

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3879
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »
Below is from their website:

Black Powder Solvent
Due to its alkaline character, Ballistol is ideal for cleaning and maintaining black powder firearms. The residues from black powder in chambers and bores are acidic. Ballistol neutralizes and dissolves them. This eliminates the need for aggressive solvents.
Since Ballistol emulsifies with water, mix one part Ballistol and two parts water to make one of the best black powder solvents available.

Corrosive Ammo
Again, due to its alkalinity, Ballistol neutralizes corrosive ammo residue. Ballistol can be used straight or as an emulsification to neutralize potassium salts left by corrosive ammo. Use 10% Ballistol to 90% water for an initial flush. Continue regular cleaning with straight Ballistol.

I used the one part Ballistol to two parts water mix. When I run out of it I may do as Cliff stated.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 10:09:37 PM »
Not tryin to be argumentative here (seems I dont have to try anymore it just happens ;D)

We have the best blackpowder solvent for free (H2O) - the need for a "solvent" for honest blackpowder residue is a marketing myth
I havent used ballistol - never seen the stuff - I do use "moose milk" (cutting oil and water about 5:1) as patch lube for my front end loaders and I doubt there is a lube as good for competition shooting (hunting is a different story)   

So I cleaned my 76 and my 86 after shooting blackpowder in mid september, cleaned with straight rainwater at room temperature, dried the bore with a couple flannelette patches, oiled both guns inside and out with straight WD40, just checked em both a couple minutes ago, both still perfect, no rust spots, no gunk, just a tiny amount of WD40 residue came out on a white flannelette patch - just enough you could see the patch were'nt new. Its a dry environment and over summer so easy to keep guns right here.

Why so long ? weeeeeel thats a nuther story - last weekend of september I had a freak accident with a tungsten tip saw blade through the back of my boot and cut the right achilles tendon clean off to the bone - had plenty of time to do stuff but could not figure out how to lug that ten pound gun around in a moon boot and crutches - simce christmas it has been hellish hot and windy, duststorms, fires in the mountains east of us, smoke all over the place - rain recently has cleared things, put most of the fires out - I felt guilty about leaving those guns in the rack so long without at least checking them - but all good - the moon boot and crutches are gone so time to burn some powder again.     

Have been following you fellers along - pleased to see a bit of activity again around the 76 subjects.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 11:03:39 PM »
Damn, dude, that bad news. Hope your healing up properly with full recovery. Prayers up for you, brother.
KM.
King Medallion

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 11:30:49 PM »
keep me honest here folks, but isn't the 1 part Ballistol to 10 parts water the mix that is called 'moose milk' used in cleanup for black powder?  Think this is what Mr. Dusty is referencing.

Yes it is but I never found it all that desirable to mix it. Just clean with water and then oil it. If there is any moisture left when the Ballistol hits it you'll know because it turns milky. I guess it's the same difference as moose milk I just found straight water cleans just as good and then just oil separately. To each his own I suppose.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »
Damn, dude, that bad news. Hope your healing up properly with full recovery. Prayers up for you, brother.
KM.

Thanks ! Its just really slow but making progress better all the time - its been a strange  trip - no serious pain even when I did it (too pi$$ed off at meself for doin it to feel anything for the first week) - took a few panadol for the first ten days or so - no big deal - believe the tendon is healing well - just a process now to get proper mobility back and strengthen it all - have convinced myself that I will be in better shape at the end of this year than when I did this. Still have not figured out what the message is yet (always a message from the universe when I do stuff like this - trouble comes big when I dont listen) 

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 05:32:14 AM »
Thanks ! Its just really slow but making progress better all the time - its been a strange  trip - no serious pain even when I did it (too pi$$ed off at meself for doin it to feel anything for the first week) - took a few panadol for the first ten days or so - no big deal - believe the tendon is healing well - just a process now to get proper mobility back and strengthen it all - have convinced myself that I will be in better shape at the end of this year than when I did this. Still have not figured out what the message is yet (always a message from the universe when I do stuff like this - trouble comes big when I dont listen)
                Glad your on the mend .,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 05:51:37 AM »
Mr. Pinto Beans , not exactly oiling but still caring for the 76 . A few yr's back Ranch 13 ,  mentioned that he used Gum Turpentine to remove lead from rifle bore's .  I gave it a try in my old 1876 45-75 , actually my favorite one . The old rifle is a late 3rd model with a pretty good bore . The outside of the gun has turned plum brown , but the bore still has shine . Before using the Gum Turpentine , I thought the bore was pretty much lead free . Not ! I soaked a patch with Gum Turpentine swabbed it very well . Let it soak for 15 min. then ran a tight bore brush through it for maybe 50 -75 strokes . Then changed back to the GT soaked patch , Wow did I see some lead color on the flannel patch . I repeated the process three more time before I could get a white flannel patch to come out white .Looking through the bore with a bore light revealed a brighter and what looked to be a much better rifled bore than I thought I had . Since that day all of my rifles had gone through the routine of using the Gum Turpentine flannel patch  and brush  cleaning . I think I have become addicted to the smell , It's really good . And every one of my rifle bores have bettered from it . Thank's again Don , for the tip . ,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
Do you get that at the Wal mart or Menards?
King Medallion

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 09:44:19 AM »
I'm a big fan of Kroil for gen. lubrication- isn't super tacky, and penetrates well.  I use an old shaving brush for exterior surfaces.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 10:33:14 AM »
                                                    Been so long since I got my big old can of Gum Turpentine that I cant remember . I have seen it at many hardware stores .,,,DT

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 03:26:53 PM »

Just looked it up and found it listed on Lowes website--Think i will try it --all ways looking for new ways (too me) of solving a problem.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 06:28:57 AM »
Just looked it up and found it listed on Lowes website--Think i will try it --all ways looking for new ways (too me) of solving a problem.
                  Hello Treebeard , try it , I think you will like it .,,,DT

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 09:10:55 AM »
Folks many thanks for all responding.  Evey time a topic like this comes up I get to learn so much from you good people.  This is one of the things that makes this such a great place is sharing of information from different folks experience.  Only thing that could make it better is if we could sit down at a table with some good grub and hot coffee to discuss things but physically impossible.  The site makes it possible!!

I am keeping a small side note of all the contributions here in order to give em a try at a later date!!

Thanks again all and keep the contributions coming!!!  Keep ya powder dry.

P.B.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 11:21:41 PM »
Gum turpentine? Learn something every day I'll give it a try.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com