Author Topic: finally got to shoot again!  (Read 983 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
finally got to shoot again!
« on: March 01, 2020, 07:19:06 AM »
Some of you boys got the news I chopped my foot half off last year (severed achilles tendon) well I got rid of the arm crutches about three weeks ago - getting more mobile as time passes.

So it was Blackpowder club range day today - will I wont I played out for a bit - then ok lets do it.  Have not fired a shot since last september, didnt read the club program, just hauled out the 76 and a box of ammo - well? of course a feller is gonna pick his favourite gun.

Gets there late - they's already shot the ml event - (good job,I didnt take mine today) next up is a 50 yard offhand cartridge event - the next biggest gun on the range to mine is a model 92, 44/40 carbine.

I have been doin very little physical these last few months, it shows and I feel it, could hardly hold that cannon up to get a shot off - sights goin all blurry, trigger not ideal       
- havent tried so hard to shoot decent for years  :) 405 grain modified LEE boolit and a poly wad over 63 grains of no name FFg, it was pleasant enough to shoot. I pulled a ten first shot, put seven decent shots down (for me), three went a bit wild, I finished second with an 84 - pretty happy with that after a long layoff .

Next event is a rapid fire, load and fire as many as you like in one minute, starting empty, ya goin in this old feller? (we all old at this club), yeah I got a few shots left, gun is cooled down some (it was 36 C today - well in the 90's)

I will just load 8 and poke along steady dont wanna get that big gun too hot - I used to own this event but with a 44/40 yellow boy - could usually get 15 or 16 to count - so the poke along steady bit was working ok till .......the bloke next door (44/40 carbine) beat me loaded by a hair and got the first shot off - that just did somethin to me brain and I couldnt help but go for it - second last shot the empty went down the front of me shirt - kinda distracted me a bit, lucky the shirt was out or I woulda been branded - didnt do so good in this - I think about middle of the field - one bloke shot an original 73, the others 92's. I guess I was a little handicapped with the 45/75 and a target tang sight - it felt good though. - we had a good day! Pleased to be back smelling smoke again.
cheers all
Greyhawk

ps gun cleaned up beautiful, put 20 through it total - no blow tube, no clean between shots, zero sign of leading, fouling is under control, Uberti barrel is about as good as it gets!   

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: finally got to shoot again!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 11:18:51 AM »
Glad to hear your out and about and on the mend and shooting again. That's good news.
King Medallion

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »
getting out after a long spell of being layed up with injury is wonderful!

Glad you are on the mend and shooting.  Hope the coming days see you back at things full bore. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:05:56 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:28:46 PM »
 That SIR: not only made my chest swell out ,, but brought a tear to my eye,   " Respect a feller w/ try ".

Coffee's ready ,, Hootmix

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 04:54:36 AM »
Thank you gents for the kind words

My busted foot has been instructive - I am on the mend and I will be in better shape at the end of this year than I was when I did it -
A short trip to town (or yesterday to the range) and it is pretty easy to see people my age not moving as good as I am even now - and for them its likely permanent - or - they had some stents put in - or they on permanent medication for pain - or - cholesterol - or - blood pressure pills - or whatever
I still think I am one of the lucky ones.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 05:50:20 PM »
 I believe " we " both are , will be 75 this April ( too soon ) , gave up haul'n the sq. bales last year ,, no still can ,, Don't want to !!!
  Just got thru cast'n another 300+ 40-60 210 gr. makes about 1000-1500 ( great expectations ) the only meds. I need to be on are-,, "LEAD " the last ck-up I had Doc said the only thing wrong with me ,, the iron in my blood had turned to lead in my butt !!! ;D May our luck hold !!!

coffee's ready ,,Hootmix

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com