Author Topic: Serious Concerns Question  (Read 2581 times)

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Serious Concerns Question
« on: February 10, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »

:o Serious Concern  :o

It looks like I'm gonna be put on Blood Thinners some time soon.  Any CAS shooters out there, taking blood thinners like Pradaxa or Eliquis???  I know there are bleeding and bruising problems but wonder if CAS guns are a problem??? 

Comments ???

Please, don't reply with "Ask your doctor" as the Doctors have no clue what CAS and Shotguns are all about.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Serious Concerns Question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 06:55:09 PM »
I take a low dose aspirin once a day as a blood thinner, on my doctor's advice. I'm 75 now, have had high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes for 7 years, controlled with diet and meds. The skin on my arms is VERY thin, very easily bruised and the smallest puncture bleeds and takes a long time to heal. Only active a few months now in CAS and so far no injuries. I don't believe our guns are a problem, mine aren't so far.

DD
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 09:28:39 PM »
I am 72 I take alternative supplements daily to help regulate all this - a Hawthorn herbal pill - Magnesium powder - Boron

Was put on low dose aspirin a few months back - I cut my right achilles tendon clear through and the ortho surgeon prescribed it to prevent clotting as I healed

Ran into the same problem as Dick describes - every little nick and bump bled like a stuck pig -

I went to a local GP with intention of getting a proper blood test to see whats going on - he asked a bunch of questions about it all (his partner was the original referring Doc when I had the accident) soon as I told him what I was taking - he just snorted and told me thats not right - aspirin is for clotting of the arteries - (heart attack and strokes) - this would be clotting in the veins - aspirin would do nothing for that - total waste of time - we quit doing it and things are back to normal. Sometimes I wonder if some of these people really know what they are doing ?

CM would likely be prescribed rat poison - I am not taking that crap no matter what expert tells me its a good idea! There are alternatives that work for most degenerative problems (read birth certificate disease)
Psyllium husk will sort cholesterol for many people quicker and better than statin drugs - without the killer side effects.
Read the package insert is a good place to start with prescription stuff.   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:24:45 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1201
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 10:04:25 PM »
Well Coffinmaker, my mom had to start Eliquis last year at age 94 because she got A-Fib.  But she doesn't shoot so can't help you with that.  She doesn't seem to bruise too easily.  Hopefully you won't have to go on diuretics, that's what she really hates.  Good luck and take care of yourself.

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 10:53:38 PM »
I've taken stout doses of Coumadin daily since the mid 1980s.  (Heart valve replacement)  Since then I have ridden a jillion horseback miles either gatherin', drivin' or chasin' a cow and a few bucking horses and a few times I have managed to beat myself up pretty good.  I did quit shooting the only magnum I own, a 338 Winchester.  I seriously doubt if you will experience any bruising with CASS loads.  I'd say, no full 12 gauge loads without good recoil pads, and of course a good, tight hold.  Same with 30-30s, 06, 270 etc.  I bought a PAST Super Mag recoil pad years ago and have about wore it out.  So, just use some common sense, quit walking the yard fence, climbin' trees and jumping off roofs and you will be ok.

"Please, don't reply with "Ask your doctor" as the Doctors have no clue what CAS and Shotguns are all about."

If it was left up to Doctors, we'd all live in a villa right across from the hospital and play cards all day. 

Billy

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:26:28 AM »
Ah My Good Coffin

this was gonna be a wall of text.
I changed my mind and am sending a PM.

:-)

prof & mrs marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
Coffinmaker, Been on baby aspirin for a while but no other thinners, I had a couple of clots in my foot years ago, but my wife was on them seriously after her stroke to prevent another and bruised and bled easily. I would think that cas rifles and pistols wouldn?t be an issue and sg loads could be built lighter or a kick killer pad installed to soften recoil. There is also a shield that goes on your shoulder over your clothes to protect the shoulder from bruising. Sorry to hear you are having med issues but it?s better than the alternative. Speaking of doctors understanding shooting, I wanted some shooting glasses made so I asked my optometrist of I could get my Woodsman match target out of my car to sight through her machine to pick the best lenses. She said fine but made a public announcement to the other patients and staff. Interesting. Sometimes they get it.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »
Coffinmaker, sorry to hear your problem. Be careful not to get cut badly. I have been on Warifarn for years, and low dose asprin, from A-Fib and have been shooting all kinds of CAS firearms for those years with no problem. The only thing is as others have said, you will burise easy, and if cut it will take longer to stop, but with that said, keep having a good time shooting, your C&Bs, or what ever you shoot and good luck.
Reno
P.S. I have shot a Sharps and 1876, and 1886 in 45/70 and 45/90  with no burising, and if that doesn't bother you nothing will.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »
Same here on the skin like wet tissue paper , I can snag on something and not know I skined myself and bleeding .
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 11:19:04 AM »
Same here on the skin like wet tissue paper , I can snag on something and not know I skined myself and bleeding .

Happens to me all the time, doing something and notice blood either dried or dripping from a very slight scrape, don't remember how it happened.

DD
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 12:15:45 PM »
Coffin: Bless your heart. I have been on low dose aspirin for a long time, I bruise pretty easily and like Roger every time I turn around I am bleeding from a tiny cut, that I did not feel when I did it.  I have been loading BP shotgun shells with 40-50 gr of 2F and 1 oz of shot.  No bruising and load handles the knockdowns they shoot around here.  For smokeless I have gone to AA low noise, low recoil with the same result.  I shoot 38 WCF in the rifle with full up loads of BP (35 gr 3F), no issue.  6.8 gr W231 & 180gr bullet no issue.  .45 Colt is pretty hard on my hands, but not bruising.

I hope all turns out well for you.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »
I am 76 and only take blood pressure medicine.  I do bruise fairly easily, however shooting doesn't bother me.  My only problem is when I do martial arts and I do get some bruises, but they don't seem to be a problem.  Hope everything works out okay for you.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 09:27:41 PM »
I am 76 and only take blood pressure medicine.  I do bruise fairly easily, however shooting doesn't bother me.  My only problem is when I do martial arts and I do get some bruises, but they don't seem to be a problem.  Hope everything works out okay for you.

Greetings My Good Paydirt

If you have no other issues, there is a good topical linament called Dit Da Jow or "chinese hit medicine" . i get mine from our traditional chinese accupuncture doctor and retired martial arts instructor.  Topical only, apply directly, reduces swelling, bruises and "increases chi flow for faster healing" .

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 12:56:55 PM »
Hey Prof,
I will have to check that out.   I am a big proponent of Tiger Balm (the stuff that looks like ear wax, not the clear/white version)   That stuff has served me well.   

Glad someone had a good experience with Warfarin.  I had a horrible experience with rat poison version.  First I have work with pesticides as an analytical chemist for 25 years.   Was applying warfarin based feed for voles in my yard.  It was a hot day so I was wearing shorts and sandals, but threw on a long sleeve short and rubber gloves when dumping the stuff in the holes.   Clean up and on my merry way and it is forgotten.   Next morning it looked like someone had gone over my shins with bat, there was nothing but a massive bruise covering the lower half of my legs.  Wife sends me to the dr.    no clue what had caused it until I had an epiphany when they are sending me to get x-rays to look for damage.    Dr. laughed, asked me to remind him what I did for a living and posted it on my chart I should probably not take that med.   

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 05:07:09 PM »
   I know there are bleeding and bruising problems but wonder if CAS guns are a problem??? 

Just keep the muzzle pointed down range from ya!  :o ;D

Seriously Coffinmaker, All the best for ya!   :)
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 06:49:54 PM »
I fixed the name of the "Chinese Hit Medicine"  - it is called Dit Da Jow. be careful of where you get it, some places online have like 100 ingrediants,
including possibley toxic stuff, and even "Dragon Bone"  ( yeah, pm me if you want to know that story..."

Hey Prof,
I will have to check that out.   I am a big proponent of Tiger Balm (the stuff that looks like ear wax, not the clear/white version)   That stuff has served me well.   

Glad someone had a good experience with Warfarin.  I had a horrible experience with rat poison version.  First I have work with pesticides as an analytical chemist for 25 years.   Was applying warfarin based feed for voles in my yard.  It was a hot day so I was wearing shorts and sandals, but threw on a long sleeve short and rubber gloves when dumping the stuff in the holes.   Clean up and on my merry way and it is forgotten.   Next morning it looked like someone had gone over my shins with bat, there was nothing but a massive bruise covering the lower half of my legs.  Wife sends me to the dr.    no clue what had caused it until I had an epiphany when they are sending me to get x-rays to look for damage.    Dr. laughed, asked me to remind him what I did for a living and posted it on my chart I should probably not take that med.

Greetings Mog -

It's agood idea to get Traditional Chinese Medicine from a trusted source. My source of *good* Tiger Balm dried up & I'll have to go back to Uncle Doctor Sigung Gary
to get the Good Stuff.

First I have work with pesticides as an analytical chemist for 25 years. 

Oh crap, so you've been exposed to a lot o' crap over the years like us and probably have our *glass too full* syndrome ...

I have to admit, *most of us* have been a little too casual with poisons and chemicals in our callow youth. I myself regularly washed my hands and arms with gasoline and naptha while working summers in an oil refinery. Now I am sensitive to most petrochemical solvents.

The Rat poison version of Warfarin was a pretty darn high  dosage *back then* and It sounds like you obviously absorbed it thru the skin and got the warned about painful/red/purplish patches on the skin aka "purple toe syndrome"
( see in my little  Wall O' Text ) .

Warfarin comes from way back in the day, and I personally think it needs to have a 'black box warning label', but WHO loves it...

Lately, Doctors are swamped and can only spend an average of 15 minutes with each patient during a visit.
ITS REALLY HARD to discuss everything in that time. AND they have hundreds of patients each, so they can't
remember everyones specifics.

Some Doctors are so rushed all they do is talk, and they don't listen.
Some patients are either shy, confused, or don't understand but won't speak up and detail their individual problems.

Also, when their done talking  , who can remember all that?

Our Presbyterian Group has a deal where the Dr takes detailed noted during the entire visit on his Office Laptop
and when we are done, he asks if you have ANY questions. THEN you go see the "exit staff" who prints off
EVERYTHING YOU TALKED ABOUT including recommended RX, dosage, side effects, warnings, etc, and then sets up the next appointment.
It's all printed out for you to take home including the next appt card. This has saved me from having to take my own notes and
carry a voice recorder!

Then, Some MDs are not as aware of detailed side effects, interactions and contra-indications -
go look at the wiki wall o' text ( below) and you'll see why they can't go through all this stuff in 15 minutes.

They go by * 60-75% of patients do fine on this * and off ya go.

Bottom line:  It's all about Risk Vs Benefit

you need to talk to YOUR DOCTOR about what exact benefit he expects out of any med,
and balance that against how much risk you have
AND Balance that against the possible side effects. AND YOU have to watch closely and report all side effects...

.... and you need to make sure it is REAL RISK like 

- you have had heart surgery so you NEED blood thinners due to the proven clotting problems
     after such surgery you WILL get clots due to healing and if you throw a clot you WILL get blockage
     leading to blood supply stoppage causing extreme pain and/or death.

not "oh your 65 now so you need to go on blood thinners"  sort of thing.

So, here some poop about Warfarin

BEWARE OF PROF MARVELS WALL O' TEXT

warfarin, Coumadin, Jantoven

Summary:

Warfarin comes from way back in 1920. Castrated cattle were bleeding out and In 1921, Frank Schofield, a Canadian veterinary pathologist, determined that the cattle were ingesting moldy silage made from sweet clover. In 1933 Karl Paul Link and his lab of chemists at the University of Wisconsinstarted experiments to isolate the haemorrhagic agent.By 1940 they succeeded in synthesizing dicoumarol and proved it was identical to the
naturally occuring agent.Karl Link developed more potent synthetic versions and in 1948 it was marketed as a rodent poison,  rodents will return to the bait and continue to feed over a period of days until a lethal dose is accumulated.

Unfortunately many rat populations have developed resistance to it, and poisons of considerably greater potency are now available.
Also unfortunetely newer anticoagulant poisons also accumulate in the liver and kidneys after ingestion and poison birds of prey
and other animals that eat the poisoned rodents or baits.

In 1954 it was approved for medical use in the United States.[5] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[9] Warfarin is available as a generic medication.[10] The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$1.12 to 7.20 for a typical month of treatment.[11] In the United States it usually costs less than $25 a month.[12] In 2016 it was the 41st most prescribed medication in the United States with more than 18 million prescriptions.[13]

Occupational safety
People can be exposed to warfarin in the workplace by breathing it in, swallowing it, skin absorption, and eye contact.
It is classified as an extremely hazardous substance in the United States and is subject to strict reporting requirements by facilities which produce, store, or use it

Dosing
Dosing of warfarin is complicated because it is known to interact with many commonly used medications and certain foods.
Further it needs to be closely monitored to ensure safety.

Adverse effects
 - excessive Bleeding
 - Warfarin necrosis ( incorrect dosage leading to massive thrombosis with skin necrosis and gangrene of limbs )
 - Osteoporosis ( warfarin could/can reduce bone mineral density)
 - Purple toe syndrome ( deposits of cholesterol break loose and cause painful embolisms in blood vessels in the the feet)
 - painful/red/purplish patches on the skin
 - kidney problems
 - vision changes,
 - confusion,
 - slurred speech,
 - weakness on one side of the body

Interactions
Warfarin interacts with many commonly used drugs and foods ... This makes finding the correct
dosage difficult, and accentuates the need of monitoring;

some interactions:
- commonly used antibiotics, such as metronidazole or the macrolides
- food that contains large quantities of vitamin K1
- Thyroid activity influences warfarin dosing
----- hypothyroidism (decreased thyroid function) makes people less responsive to warfarin treatment,
----- hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) boosts the anticoagulant effect.
- alcohol is also known to increase the risk of bleeding.
- interacts with many herbs and spices, (such as ginger and garlic)
- interacts with medicinal herbs (such as ginseng and Ginkgo biloba,  borage (starflower) oil,  fish oils,  St. John's Wort)
- interacts with cranberry juice.

Get medical help right away if any of these rare but serious side effects occur: painful/red/purplish patches on the skin (such as on the toe, breast, abdomen), signs of kidney problems (such as change in the amount of urine), vision changes, confusion, slurred speech, weakness on one side of the body.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

---------
WAll o' Text available at

from Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin
and

https://www.drugs.com/warfarin.html

Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com