Author Topic: Canadians...please step in here. Fixed the unit markings  (Read 811 times)

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Canadians...please step in here. Fixed the unit markings
« on: February 07, 2020, 03:07:21 PM »
I recently acquired another Colt New Service.  This one is Canadian marked and unit marked.  I have an idea as to what the unit markings are but I would like to get input from you guys.

It is marked

G BATT 12 C M  G C 13

Thanks!
GAF#379

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Canadians...please step in here.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:55:10 PM »
My guess it belonged to G battery of "The Motors". The Canadian Motor Machinegun Brigade was the first fully mobile and armoured force in the World.

https://www.facebook.com/1greatvirtualeducationalexperience/posts/878069382251524/

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Canadians...please step in here. Fixed the unit markings
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 05:13:39 PM »
Sir Charles....I fixed the unit marking.  It is actually C M G C which would seem to be the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, correct?

What would you make of the rest of it?  G battery?  12= 12th company?  13 being the weapon number?

thanks!
GAF#379

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:20:23 AM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 01:58:27 AM »
Yes, the "13" at the end of the markings would be tha "rack number" of the revolver within whatever unit the rest of the markings signify ...

If the markings relate to WWI issue, I believe the unit would be the 12th Canadian Machine Gun Company (part of the 2nd Division of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps.)  If so, I assume the specific sub-unit  within that Company was "G Battery" ...

Alternatively, if they are post-war markings, when the CMGC was reorganized within the National Permanent Active Militia, then the markings would likely denote G Company (or Battery?) of the 12th Machine Gun Battalion, in Saskatchewan from 1919 to 1936.

I am summarizing from the rather convoluted history set out on this page of canadiansoldiers.com:  https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/corpsbranches/machineguncorps.htm
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 07:26:19 AM »
RSJ....thanks for chiming in.  I have read up on the CMGC on that link and other places.  Somewhere around here I have a book...Canadian Emma Gee in WW1?

My reading on it is also 12th Canadian Machine Gun Company.  However I admit to a bias on this.  My great uncle, who we have discussed before, served in the 12th CMGC in WW1 and lost a leg at Vimy Ridge.  As we can see, I would REALLY REALLY like this to have been issued to teh 12th company of the CMGC.   ;D
GAF#379

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com