Author Topic: Gunstock War Club  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Gunstock War Club
« on: October 22, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »
Since it has been dead around here and since they made one on Forged in Fire this week, it reminded me of two things.   One I have not finished this club and two I have not posted it.

So, here is my Gunstock Warclub.  I made the point from a circular saw blade.  The blade also became a knife that is down in one of the other posts.    A few years back there was a Native American exhibit here at the art museum and they had several clubs.   I went and took some sketches and estimated lengths, etc.   So here it is, 25 inches of black walnut.   Yes, you are free to curse me for using such a fine piece of wood, you would not be the first.   I still intend on giving it a rawhide wrap and maybe a little more brass.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gunstock War Club
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »
I think it looks really good! Gunstock War Clubs are very cool. I've always wanted to make one, but I'm lacking in talent, funds, and time.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 06:45:41 PM »
Firstly, great job Mog! nicely done and fits in the period.

Secondly - Fie upon those who might belittle you!

It's your friggin piece of wood, and I don't see any of the medlers offering to buy such wood from you or me
and put it up in a museum....

yhs
prof (fie on them all!) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:50:06 PM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 07:19:01 AM »
Thanks for the compliments.    This was one of those projects that my wife just rolled her eyes about.   Went to the museum, saw the ones there and then the ones here on this site and I had the look in my eye.   This is why my wife thinks the internet/youtube/pinterest is bad for me.  I made this while she was away on business, normally she likes surprises, maybe this time not so much.   One evening before another trip I was engrossed in an episode of NOVA where they were recreating a chariot.   My looked at me and said "Dear God tell me there will not be a chariot in the garage when I get home."   My response was "Well, obviously.      Not now." 

I was shocked by the number of people who thought I should have used pine from Lowes because it is cheap.   My response about the ease of which the pine would break in use apparently disturbed some as it implied impending use. 

I got the same response from my wife when we I dragged her into a Torture museum in a small medieval town in Italy and had her take pictures of an Iron Maiden.    As we left, "You know you are not building one of those"

Dang it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com