Author Topic: Charlie Bowdre's Carbine  (Read 301 times)

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
Charlie Bowdre's Carbine
« on: November 29, 2019, 01:52:14 pm »
I've seen these photos of Charlie Bowdre many times, but I forgot that the had an 1876 carbine.  I'm wondering what you think, though.  I'm most familiar with the first photo, where the gun is pointed to his left.  I think that I'm seeing the saddle ring on the right side, which makes me think that this is a reversed photo, typical of tintypes.  If that is so, he appears to be wearing his revolver in a left-handed holster, which seems uncommon.

Then there is the second photo, which I believe was recovered from his body at the time of his death.  In that one, I think that I'm seeing the loading gate on the right side of the gun.  It appears to be returned to its "normal" (not mirror-imaged) configuration.  The holster looks the same, but is reversed from the first photo.  The tilt of his hat is tilted the opposite direction.  What is odd is that his wife seems to have changed sides and mimicked her stance.

To help with the discussion, I'll add a copy of the first photo, where I flipped it to make it match the orientation of the second.

I've only been comparing these photos this morning, so I'm still sorting it out.  What do you think?

CC Griff
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:55:17 pm by Coal Creek Griff »
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
Re: Charlie Bowdre's Carbine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 04:40:42 pm »
Seems to all add up to me. Maybe that was a common pose for expecting mothers?

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 09:30:31 pm »
 I don't see a loading gate in the 2nd photo ,, more like a reflection ,, I still see a saddle ring that is flipped over ,, the lady appears to have a dark ring on her 3rd. finger. I feel the 2nd. photo to be correct ,, ( say's the man w/ a glass eye & cataracts in the " good " eye ).

Cool pic's. I also have seen these before and was never sure ,, thanks for the mystery .

coffee's ready Hootmix.

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 12:15:11 pm »
Anyone else notice the cell phone in the pocket of Manuela's dress in the first photo?

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:19:12 pm »
Is it known what caliber it is or if it exists??

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 03:58:11 pm »
Is it known what caliber it is or if it exists??

I'd love to know the answer to that as well.  My research efforts (Google) have failed to answer that question so far.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 11:07:47 am »
The first and second pictures are reversed, that is actually pretty plain, due to buttons on her dress and his belt buckle.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.