Author Topic: To me, it is a western.  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
To me, it is a western.
« on: February 12, 2020, 06:51:29 AM »
Okay, first things first.  I am kind of feeling dirty about even typing this.  I was 11 when Star Wars came out.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.   Thought Empire Strikes Back was dark and showed Vader to be a great villain.  Then came Return of the Jedi and things went down from there.   To me, Han shot first and all of Lucas's tweeking made everything worse by episode 2, I was done.   They did get me to watch Rogue One, as it was described as Guns of Navarone in space.  not quite, but better than expected.  To top it off, Disney owns it and I am no fan of them either.   So (stay on target), a few months ago after yelling at Verizon while I was sitting in Europe without the service I had requested, I was upgraded to unlimited data.   This weekend, in the midst of the flu epidemic (Stay on Target!), I was notified this gave me the option to get Disney+ for a year for free.  I toyed with ignoring it.   But, as the flu progressed, I downloaded it and immediately began watching (finally)  The Mandalorian.    This is a "Star Wars" universe series that would take place a few years after Return of the Jedi and about 15 years before Episode 7 (not sure what it was).   It is developed and mostly written by Jon Favreau who did quite a bit with the Marvel Universe films.   It is a Western, plain and simple.  It also has elements of Samurai films, which where homaged in spaghetti westerns.   Each episode is about 35 minutes long and are a combo of the old TV westerns, spaghetti westerns and movies.  It might help to know the Star Wars universe some (I do by association, building is full of nerds) but not necessary either.   I recommend it.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: To me, it is a western.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 07:19:38 AM »
I consider Mandolorian akin to Adventures In Babysitting, only with space ships and blasters. From feared mercenary to babysitter. Just sad, really

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 07:25:30 AM »
I?m a big fan of the Lone Wolf and Cub samurai series. Very hypertensive.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:10:25 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 08:56:30 AM »
Loved The Mandalorian!

I've binged watched the entire series so far, and can't wait to see the next season.
I enjoyed Firefly (and the follow-up movie, Serenity) for the same reason, and it, too, was a homage to the Western genre.

Since we're delving in the realm of Sci-Fi "shoot-em-ups" that harken back to that genre, The Expanse is fabulous! Highly recommend.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 08:58:28 AM »
I get the adventures in Babysitting reference (nobody leaves this place til they sing the blues), but I focused on the lone wolf and cub similarities.   When I hit college, I took three years of Karate and all of my roommates for the last 4 years were guys I met at Karate.   Kung Fu and Samurai movies were watched repeatedly, so lots of similarities were noted.   

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
RCJ, I will have to check out the Expanse.  It pops up on my Amazon recommended list often.  Thanks!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
RCJ, I will have to check out the Expanse.  It pops up on my Amazon recommended list often.  Thanks!

Mogorilla,
be patient with it, it's a little confusing in the beginning but really grabs you quickly. Absolutely THE BEST and well rendered special effects of ANY space - based show.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »
I liked the effects on the expanse but soon lost interest in the convoluted storyline. At least to me it was. Firefly is a great series and movie.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 03:39:01 PM »
And another 19th century connection to the Mandalorian besides the story line, he carries a 1894 Bergmann ! 
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 07:46:39 AM »
Hi Jack,
I thought it looked familiar.   In the original Star Wars, Han Solo's blaster was built on a broom handled mauser.    i have always been a fan of those, probably never own one, but still have hopes.  One problem was when the whole Cosplay started to take off, people were buying original broom handles and decommissioning them and turning them into HAn's blaster.  It really removed some from the market.  Thankfully there are one or two companies making bb versions that are more reasonable and lest damaging to the antique gun market to replicate a prop.  Hopefully someone will come up with a replica Bergmann as I know two people already building a version of the armor. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 05:10:46 PM »

:D   Yepper Mogo    :D

I've been watching Mandalorian every episode.  Absolutely love it.  I was heartbroken when Firefly died.  Really enjoyed Serenity.  Absolutely great SiFy "westerns" you betcha.  Deeply in "lust" with Gina Torres and her Mares Leg.  Too KOOL!!  Jelwel Staite was Uber swell too!!.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
:D   Yepper Mogo    :D

I've been watching Mandalorian every episode.  Absolutely love it.  I was heartbroken when Firefly died.  Really enjoyed Serenity.  Absolutely great SiFy "westerns" you betcha.  Deeply in "lust" with Gina Torres and her Mares Leg.  Too KOOL!!  Jelwel Staite was Uber swell too!!.

I'm also a huge fan of Firefly, not so much Serenity... But only cuz they killed off Wash and Book. My favorite scene though, was River's fight scene. Amazingly limber little minx.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 12:33:16 PM »
We are in discussion of holding another Firefly marathon at work.  We did one 3 years ago when some new employees had never heard of it.   We have a few more who know nothing of Browncoats or misbehavin or shiny things!   Tiime to educate.

Like many other actors who do fight choreography well, I believe Summer Glau had been a dancer previously. 

I'll be in my bunk....

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 02:00:47 PM »
Ballet dancer

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 02:04:30 PM »
It pays to listen to the commentary. What a nerd  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com