Author Topic: How many are shooting .36 Remmies with conversion cylinders?  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
How many are shooting .36 Remmies with conversion cylinders?
« on: November 05, 2019, 06:56:11 PM »
I was wondering ow many are shooting .36 Remmies with conversion cylinders?  Do you have the .375" bore lined, or unlined using heeled or hollow base bullets?  I am working with Walt Kirst and Jeff Hoffman from Black Hills ammo about producing hollow based ammo for the unlined barrels.  Two possibilities are in the process of exploration.

One is to introduce their 148 grain HBWC from their .38 specials in a .38 colt case, protruding 1/4".  Another possibility is to replace their existing 150 grain RNL solid base with a 150 grain RNBL hollow base (soft lead) like the post 1892 factory loads that worked in both old .375" bores and new .357" bores.

I approached Jeff with the idea, and he is VERY receptive to the idea! He has his crew searching out components.  I am working with him on possible market share and R&D ideas, also.  I really feel that the lack of a GOOD .38 Colt factory load is limiting the proliferation of the .38 conversion cylinders (both Kirst and Howell), that the 45 cylinders enjoy.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: How many are shooting .36 Remmies with conversion cylinders?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 08:11:14 PM »
Yes.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 08:58:08 PM »
I was wondering ow many are shooting .36 Remmies with conversion cylinders? 

Another possibility is to replace their existing 150 grain RNL solid base with a 150 grain RNBL hollow base (soft lead) like the post 1892 factory loads that worked in both old .375" bores and new .357" bores.

I approached Jeff with the idea, and he is VERY receptive to the idea! He has his crew searching out components.  I am working with him on possible market share and R&D ideas, also.  I really feel that the lack of a GOOD .38 Colt factory load is limiting the proliferation of the .38 conversion cylinders (both Kirst and Howell), that the 45 cylinders enjoy.

I agree completely T.L., I shoot both the Colt and Remmy in .375 and as I said on your other thread, I would buy the 150 gr RNBL soft lead hollowbase cartridges in a heartbeat.

And I load virtually everything!

Yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 10:49:18 PM »
You'd think Black Hills would be on top of this, but, I hope they know the max OAL for the Kirst cylinders is 1.42" (for Colt pattern guns, not positive about Remmie).

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 08:58:21 AM »

:o  NO.  I don't like Remington at all   :o   I also don't need accuracy beyond minute of Saucier at 10 Yards.  As long as I can get a nice melodious KLANG I'm happy. 

I realize this missive is of no benefit to the OP.  Actually, of no benefit to anybody else either.  So, should it be ignored by one and all, I shan't be offended.  Carry on with what ever you were doing before I intruded with my useless informative submission.  Be Warm, Be Safe, wear Snow Shoes.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »
    Seems to me that an outside lubed type bullet would be more consistent than a "hope it's not too thin, hope it's not too thick"  bullet (speaking of the skirt).  Just look at how the .22 LR /mag popularity is fairly constant. Not to mention the amazing accuracy you can get out of the most antiquated round on the market!! That said, I haven't shot any 38 conversion since late 1980s.  Accuracy was miserable and after 100s and 100s of rounds trying this and that (I understood what the problem was), I finally tried the cap cyl only to find  out it was a very accurate revolver ('51 Navy  Pietta)!! Never wanted a .38 conv. since.  Outside lubed could "possibly" change my mind .  .  .  .  maybe .  .  (the .45s work sooooo well!!!!).  On behalf of CM's concern for your comfort/safety/health,  don't forget to wear your rubbers!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 10:48:45 AM »
When I first started CAS, I had a pair of Remmies with .38 conversion cylinders. I had Kenny Howell sleeve them to .357. They were tack nailers, well worth the expense of sleeving. Were I to go the .38 route again, I'd still do the sleeves.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 10:52:59 AM »
Will, some will still sleeve the barrels.  The beauty of the new ammo is that it will work for both sleeved and un-sleeved.  Hoffman was not interested in heeled ammo.  That market would be much more limited.  The HB ammo would also be used by CAS shooters with standard .38 Colt clones or Ruger.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
150gr soft lead round nose hollow base bullets sound like a good idea for CAS shooting. What does the 'BL' in RNBL stand for, the soft lead?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 04:50:38 PM »
150gr soft lead round nose hollow base bullets sound like a good idea for CAS shooting. What does the 'BL' in RNBL stand for, the soft lead?

The B is from fat old fingers!  LOL It is RNL  round nose lead.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 11:26:23 AM »
The B is from fat old fingers!  LOL It is RNL  round nose lead.
That certainly explains it.  ;D  Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com