Author Topic: Spencer Shotgun Project  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spencer Shotgun Project
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 03:28:56 pm »
Well, two steps forward, one step back.  I fully assembled the gun and it jammed up.  Close examination showed two issues.  1) The magazine follower stuck far enough into the action to jam the block.  2) the shell release on the right side of the receiver (picture) is probably a replacement and is not (and can’t really be) properly fitted.  It allows the shells to stick out into the receiver and jam the receiver as well.  The first issue is a simple fix, I can make a new follower that can not go that far into the receiver.  The second issue is a bit more work.  The best fix would be to make a new shell release out of spring steel.  Not an impossible job, but fiddly.  I have a second Spencer shotgun that has a decent cartridge release but it is slightly different than the one in this gun and I don’t want to take parts from a complete gun, especially since I would have to modify it enough that it would no longer work on the gun it is currently on.   Still working out the best solution, but I think making a couple of new shell releases is in my future.  I will probably make them slightly over size to have spares that I can fit to specific guns... or to have spares when I inevitably screw up the first one I make!

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 02:30:54 am »
I used a piece from a leaf spring of a truck and fitted it, took me a can of elbow grease btw  ;D
Doesn't look like much but I got it working again.
Onetime I will make a proper one  ;)
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 10:16:09 am »
Hey, whatever works!  I think I will buy some 5160 and cut the rough profile on the mill, finish it up with a file, and temper it in the kiln/oven I got a while back. 

One of the things I enjoy about this project is getting an understanding of how the gun really works, which is a way of learning about how Christopher Spencer thought.

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 01:06:03 pm »
I made a new shell follower for the magazine so the block moves freely.  I also ordered some 5160 and will be milling it to the rough shape of the shell stop tomorrow, or trying to since 5160 is not easy to machine. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2020 CAScity.com