Author Topic: John Sukey  (Read 1686 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
John Sukey
« on: October 14, 2019, 05:38:36 PM »

Gentlemen:

Some time ago, at the time of the online Estate Auction for the late John Sukey, I exchanged some messages with another chap up here in Canada who was also bidding on a lot in the auction, and mentioned that I had communicated off and on with John over the years. This other chap won his lot (... I did not win mine ...) and included in it was John's military service cap. Having no interest in the cap,the bid winner offered it to me because I had known John (although I never did meet him in person) and today dropped it off at my house.

To be honest, I do not even know what branch of U.S. service this hat is for, and it certainly does not fit in with my collecting interests.

I am accordingly posting about it on various forums to see if there is anyone who might like to receive this hat (at no cost except to cover shipping), either because of association with John sake, or because it would fit with their collection. I will decide what to do with it once I have had a chance to assess any responses I receive.

By the way, for anyone wondering why I am positing this modern U.S. service cap in this venue, John Sukey was a long-time reenactor with various Victorian British military impressions (e.g. Artillery, Highlander). (Looking back on John's obituary it says he served in the Army and the Air National Guard - https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tucson/obituary.aspx?n=john-f-sukey-jack&pid=188836563&fhid=29425 )

Grant Rombough
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: John Sukey
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:01:48 PM »
That looks like air force, so probably from his Air National Guard days.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline LT Col Long

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 54278
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »

You are correct US Air Force.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:13:10 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 04:52:13 AM »
If you still have it ....I'd would add it to the collection at the Military museum

Between myself and my pard we have a rotating display of uniforms of the service 1812 - 1945 

We set it up in Sept.2018 ...and have added to it over the year ( and we have added 1812 )

I can send photos or a slide show or the original display is posted here on the barracks forum

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,61750.0.html

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,61912.msg737034.html#msg737034

I have since added a French  1916 Adrian Helm and an Italian Adrian  and a 1812 2nd Dragoon Leather helmet
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »
If you look carefully in the original "Tora, Tora, Tora" and "Midway" you can see the angled deck of USS LEXINGTON (CVT-16).  It was repainted to mimic the deck of a Japanese carrier but that's about the best they could do.  Since there are no more ESSEX class boats that are operational doing "live" action scenes are now impossible.

There might be one possibility that would be to see if the Brazilians would lend out their carrier SAO PAULO.  It's a French CLEMENCEAU class boat, formerly named FOCH.  It would not be perfect but would be better than a NIMITZ class.

But even if you had the deck getting the aircraft would be very difficult.  Not too many Naval Aviators are alive today that ever flew off straight decks.

SQQ

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »

I would also think, it would be somewhat problematic to get some correct airplanes.  You'd have to repaint "an" airplane about 60 times and shoot the same launch about 60 times and ........ nah. 

CGI.  With current CGI one has to look really close to tell ................. and there is a lot of good useable WWII footage that can be colorized.

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »
I do not know when it was 1st adapted, but hat is a USAF enlisted dress that I wore from 1977-1992. Today, hat same, emblem changed. Blue vs green places it past 1949, when USAF was set up as a separate branch. The label in hat predates me, rank SSGT, E5. My sn was B7340. You posted his name & social security number.
Brian

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 12:11:47 AM »
Major 2:

Yes, I still have it, and would gladly donate it to your cause for the cost of mailing it to you ... (That in itself might not be cheap, because Canada Post kinda rapes us on parcels.  Mind you, it wouldn't weigh much ...but I'd have to package it up and get a "quote" from them for sending it to your address and ZIP ...)
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 12:21:32 AM »
Let me know ...thanks
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »
Major 2:

I'll need your mailing address with ZIP code ...

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
  work address is PM'ed

Thanks