Author Topic: What primer to use?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
What primer to use?
« on: August 18, 2019, 10:36:23 AM »
What primer does one use in reloading the 44-40? Large Pistol or Large Rifle? I'm looking at buying my first  44-40 rifle (Uberti 73). I was able to try it out, so I loaded up some shells using APP, 200 gr. bullets and Federal Large Pistol Primers. The rifle has been tuned up. All I got were light primer hits, no kaboom. Pistol primers are shorter than rifle primers. So would rifle primers be better? I adjusted the hammer spring, but still getting a few misfires (recook the hammer and usually the shell works). The firing pin is not broken. So is this an ammo problem or firearm problem.

Two-Bit Charlie

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: What primer to use?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »
Well, it could be an ammo problem if you didn't seat the primers all the way.  But other than that, firearm problem.  Use large pistol primers.  Federals are the easiest to set off, so the action is too light or not adjusted properly or has some other power robbing thing going on in the hammer fall or bolt.  Does it have a short stroke kit?  That might affect headspace.

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »
No, it doesn't have a short stroke in it.

Two-bit Charlie

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:38:05 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »
With the hammer back, push the firing pin extension forward with your thumb to see if it moves forward and backward smoothly. 

Very possible that whoever tuned it up took a little too much off the main spring, if screwing in the strain screw is not giving you 100% ignition. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 10:35:20 AM »

Hey There Two Bit   :D

PLUS ONE too Abilene.

Whom ever "tuned" your rifle actually didn't know what they were doing.  The biggest bang for your buck in a Toggle Link Rifle is a "REALLY GOOD" action job.  Everything needs to work in concert.  If you reduce the Main Spring, you're obligated to also reduce the Firing Pin Return Spring.  Easy to get to the point you can ONLY use FEDERAL primers because the others are all too hard by comparison.

Short answer to your initial question, you want to use PISTOL primers.  Modern 44-40 cases are manufactured to utilize Large Pistol Primers.  Most all in the CAS game use Federal Large Pistol because they are the most reliable ignition source with reduced springs.

I would suggest you will probably need to start over with a nice Brandy Knew-Two-You Main Spring.  Or you may consider a commercial reduced main spring from Slick Magic or The Smith Shop.  Your current spring is junque   :o

Offline R.M. Conversion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 09:27:51 PM »
I've settled on Winchester Primers - and would use their pistol primers for .38-40 and .44-40 regardless of rifle or pistol.  They are suitable for all powders, 'regular' and 'magnum' and their performance for me has been perfect - both black powder and smokeless.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »
If he's not settin off Federals he sure is not going to set off Winchesters.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »

PLUS ONE too Wildman1   ;D

Until the Main Spring is replaced, this rifle won't be setting off anything.  Suggesting a change to an even heavier primer cup is ....... Du ..... ah silly.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 11:41:18 AM »
If it won't set off different brands of primers it's broke and who ever slicked it up should fix it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »
Greetings my good Charlie

You are fortunate that you had the chance to. Try It and are only looking at the rifle (we hope).
This is why it sometimes pays to buy new from a reputable place like Taylors or EMF who will take care of any issues.

Personally, being of the old and slow bunch, ( i like to place in the bottom quarter time wise, but with all center hits covered by a teacup) so I am not a fan of short stroke or other speed kits.

Also I am not a fan of race guns of any sort, generally prefer "as issued" with only a light internal fluff and buff and trigger honing.

Of course opinions are like.... hmmm ... everybody has several....
And as always YMMV

Yhs
Prof Marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »
If you like the rifle spring replacement is cheap and easy so that would not be a reason to not buy it. If you like everything else about it and the price suits you buy it. Have fun.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 08:22:12 PM »
If you like the rifle spring replacement is cheap and easy so that would not be a reason to not buy it. If you like everything else about it and the price suits you buy it. Have fun.
wM1

I must admit to being a bit contrary here.... It would have to be super cheap... In My opnion (which belongs to me) if this short trial has already
shown this sort of issue, what else is lurking down the pike? If one is not a skilled amatuer gun plumber multiple problems *will* get pricy fast.

yhs
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com