Author Topic: Oh my! The start of a new era...  (Read 949 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
Re: Oh my! The start of a new era...
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 05:35:45 pm »
I ordered some more Starline 44 Colt brass from Buffalo Arms and some .430 diameter 210 grain RNFP slugs from Missouri Bullet Company.  While I like the look of the conical 246 grain .44 Special slugs Bear Creek sells, they are about $15 more /500 and while looking correct, they are heavier than the 208- 210 grain loadings that were common.  I may even be able to use the same bullet for reloading .44-40s for my HRA 1860 Henry.  I have been loading .428s, but it would be nice to load one slug for both.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 10:19:22 am »

Ah well .... NO.  Or .... Maybe.  Depends on how much surgery you want to do.  If I were wanting to set up an Open Top to run Hysterical more correct 44 Colt with Heal Base .451 bullets, It's actually quite simple.

Start with a .45 chambered Open Top.  Add a .44 Spl/Colt/Russian cylinder.  Ream out the cylinder of the .44 Spl cylinder to give a through bore at case diameter.  Done.   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 10:41:09 am »

And a quick trip to shop reveals .... TA DA.  If in your case you are starting with .44 chambered Open Top guns, just order up a .45 barrel (or a pair).  No barrel fitting required except to correct the barrel to Arbor fit.  Use a Manson throating reamer with a .44 pilot and cut the throat out of the chambers.

Easy Peasy.

The barrels for the Richards/Mason and Open Top are some different.  While doable, the simplest swap here is to use Open Top 45 barrels.  The ejector assemblies swap across ALL the different Open Top chambering(s).