Author Topic: Belgium made 1960's Colt  (Read 32139 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Belgium made 1960's Colt
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2007, 12:06:15 PM »
I'll try  ;)  Eddie Aiona was the property master on most of Eastwood's films including Unforgiven.
Josie Wales was made in 1975 and I know there were dozens of Belgian 1960 Centennials still at the prop houses.
That said, I know the guns Clint used were purchased by the Art/prop dept. I believe they were massaged and defarbed Uberti's .
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 03:39:49 AM »
The Walkers were ASM, but the Army? Make my day, Major!
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline mdrebcav

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2007, 09:23:03 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this but I found this site while searching for info on a Belgian 1860 "New Model 1960 Army" I bought recently. It is numbered F7 matching cased set with stock (also number F7). I must say it is about the most gorgeous revolver own now.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:08:51 AM »

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2007, 11:09:43 PM »
Welcome aboard, and congratulations on the F7 Cased set with the shoulder stock. these sets are few and far between. I own two Beldian Colts neither cased, but both real nice.and I feel the same way. I shoot mine occaisionally at our CAS matches.

I hope you will allow Long Johns Wolf to send you a questionnaire on your Belgian Cased set.

We are in the midst of collecting any and all information that we can on these revolvers.

Also Please post some pictures of your set.

How Cool is that! 1-10....a 20!

I'm looking for F1 that was sold in Ohio at a gun show before 1962.

Your pistol has to have been made in 1961 from the S/N as F1 was the first one made in 1961.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 03:26:56 AM »
Welcome to this board. Here you meet the enthusiastic owners of FROC i. e. Fine Revolvers Of Centaure. F7, 1961, what a find. And with matching shoulder stock. Congratulations.
Please, be kind enough to let me have your private email address that I  can mail the questionaire as I am doing a little research project on these Belgian Colts. I would love to have the specific data of your pistols in that survey.
And for the rest of you Belgian Colt/Centaure/Centennial Colt enthusiasts here is my latest find, a factory engraved Centaure S/N 11851, probably from 1972.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline mdrebcav

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2007, 04:19:52 AM »
Heres a picture of F7. I hope this works

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2007, 02:09:28 AM »
Howdy to the campfire: regarding my study one of the German pards let me have the copy of a factory letter relating to S/N 12106 confirming that it left Fabriques d'Armes Unies de Liege July 7, 1972. But the interesting thing is the little note as part of the letterhead saying "fondées 1796" i. e. founded 1796. See below. They are an old gun maker, really old. Isn't that amazing?
Long Johns Wolf

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2007, 03:37:54 AM »
Hello pards. Thought you would like to know where we stand with the project. Thanks to your input I could just complete a list of models & variations of the Belgian Colts. Per today at least 9.., see pic.
If you want that info as a word document sent me a PM.
If you have one of these Belgians and care to let me have her data to be included in this research project send me your email address per PM, please. And I'll mail the questionaire.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2019, 02:22:03 AM »
I love these historical back-stories to film firearms. Thanks a decade-later, Major.

By this time, these Belgian's had seen rough handling, seldom fired, but played with by the player, dry fired , dropped , they'd get wet , seldom if ever cleaned.
They were mostly loose, or broken springs , didn't matter they were just holster props.  ::)

My point is, a goodly number of these were purchased by Western Costume & Stembridge..
They would be part of the Gun rental package.... 

Did they look as beat as this one?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2019, 07:52:22 AM »
or worst .....  one I recall must of been used as a hammer

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2019, 09:14:42 AM »

I finally have an acceptable input.  A good friend recently acquired a pair of Centaur 1860s.  He elected as he should offer them up for me to look at.  "Look At" for means whip out a screwdriver and look inside.

One gun looked "OK" but was non-functional.  The other looked "rough" but cycled.  Taken apart, gun # 1 had no correct internal lock parts. The cobbled up parts would not cause the gun to function.  The #2 gun had several Pietta lock parts and would function (just) and I wouldn't be too inclined to shoot it.  I assessed both guns as useable for "major parts" only.  It's a shame.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2019, 09:49:41 AM »
I've read this thread with interest and have corresponded with  Boot... ah, Long John Wolf and WT.
I have had some experience with Belgians 1860's...
Years ago in the 80's & 90's we would have about 1/2 doz. or so of these from the Gun rental houses on the prop trailer.

One in particular, I recall had Ivory looking grips put on it , from a Hubley Texan 45 (1860 toy cap gun ).
This Belgian was used on the film The Sacketts , the two piece grips were not a perfect fit but close enough for a holstered prop.
I was not closely involved with the Prop Trailer on the N&S trilogy , but I'll bet they had some.
On Glory we had some, but the Guns used by Matthew Broderick & C. Elways were Uberti , mostly the Belgians remain unused or perhaps as a sidearm for some bit part player... but Reenactors supplied their own guns.
I remember seeing some on Ironclads I don't know if Kelly & Ray (prop-masters) issued them .
By this time, these Belgian's had seen rough handling, seldom fired, but played with by the player, dry fired , dropped , they'd get wet , seldom if ever cleaned.
They were mostly loose, or broken springs , didn't matter they were just holster props.  ::)
If there were some on the "Gettysburg" shoot , I don't recall , though "Ironclads" was two years later, so I'm guessing Kelly had some. Maybe on God & Generals too.
The hand guns used on "Into the West" were all from Taylor's & Uberti's & were purchased,
because by this time, the rental guns were really bad.

My point is, a goodly number of these were purchased by Western Costume & Stembridge..
They would be part of the Gun rental package....
as a side note , there are at times a call in the script (orders) for "Safe" rubber guns ( close hand to hand stuff )  many Enfields & Springfield's , a few Sharps and lots of bayonets are cast from the real deal.
I recall a rubber Belgian , you can see the Made in Belgian in the butt , where it was cast from the real pistol.

I have the Rubber Flintlock SXS shotgun from "Alamo the Price of Freedom " used by Casey Biggs as Travis....as he died swinging it on camera.

This thread has piked my interest ... I would not mind finding one in good condition....  8)

as an interesting side note ...I had responded to this thread over 12 years ago,

the Rubber Flintlock SXS shotgun from "Alamo the Price of Freedom " was lost in a barn fire (prop room ) in 2012 )

I still have the Colt Second Gen. 1860's used by Chamberlain- "Gettysburg" (  Jeff Daniels ) and Alex Hyde-White in "Ironclads" and  Broderick in "Glory"

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2019, 04:19:22 PM »
I finally have an acceptable input.  A good friend recently acquired a pair of Centaur 1860s.  He elected as he should offer them up for me to look at.  "Look At" for means whip out a screwdriver and look inside.

One gun looked "OK" but was non-functional.  The other looked "rough" but cycled.  Taken apart, gun # 1 had no correct internal lock parts. The cobbled up parts would not cause the gun to function.  The #2 gun had several Pietta lock parts and would function (just) and I wouldn't be too inclined to shoot it.  I assessed both guns as useable for "major parts" only.  It's a shame.

Ah My Good Monsieur Coffin
Perhaps your friend ought to put them up here for bidding?
I myself would gladly offer him $10...

Yhs
Prof (frugal) Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2019, 04:31:07 PM »
My 1960/1860. Conversion by; Hoof-Hearted

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2019, 05:07:09 PM »
I bought this one at a Local Gun Show Several Years ago for, $175.00. Sold it last year for $450.00. The piece is New in the box with the original packing wrap. A Collector has it now. I doubt it will ever be fired.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2019, 05:12:13 PM »

Wow, that's too bad. I recall when you (CM) posted about yer friend getting those at a reasonable dollar figure, wishin that a gun buyin event like the Centaur's would come my way. Was even bidding on a Centaur last summer on GB that I should have upped my bid a few $$ more and might have gotten it. Of course not all of them are like your friends, we'd here more from Long Johns Wolf about it I'm sure. Still bad news on the two your friend got. CC
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com