Author Topic: Confederate impression/uniform  (Read 12484 times)

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Confederate impression/uniform
« on: July 19, 2019, 08:10:55 AM »
I still have all my uniforms from when I use to reenact, and was wondering if there is anything I can use my old Confederate uniforms for on this side of things?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Confederate impression/uniform
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 08:17:29 AM »
sure , many have , you could use all or some elements ...your call
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:12:50 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how could or would I play that into CAS? I'm extremely OCD when it comes to portraying an impression, so I like to get a back story and really nail it down

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:56:06 PM »

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »
My CAS persona is an ex-Confederate Cavalry trooper that was driven west by the Da%$Yankee (one word) carpetbaggers.  Confederate gray wool pants, brown confederate flapped holster, civilian shirt/suspenders/hat etc.
Scouts Out!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »
Since this is the History Forum, keep in mind that wearing anything Confederate that would indicate rank or display military buttons, such as the uniform blouse, was proscribed after the war.

Your pants, shirts, footwear, galluses, and perhaps vest, would be seen in use for a short time after the war until replaced by civilian clothing.
There are many examples of period uniforms in museums or as cherished family heirlooms, which indicates many soldiers kept their uniforms. Whether out of 19th century frugality, or pride of service, your choice.

Also, lots of veteran organizations, representing both Federal and Confederate, flourished in the decades post-war.
Many wore adaptations of service uniforms, and for the Confederates, probably of a better grade than worn in war time.

In the long run, this is a fantasy sport, so wear what pleases you.
Or, this would be a great reason to join GAF. A uniform is NEVER out of place. See The Barracks.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 01:25:49 PM »
Welp !  as RCJ so wisely stated CAS is a fantasy

Maybe the TV series "The Rebel" might inspire
The series portrays the adventures of young Confederate army veteran Johnny Yuma, an aspiring writer, played by Nick Adams. Haunted by his memories of the American Civil War, Yuma, in search of inner peace, roams the American West, specifically the Texas Hill Country and the South Texas Plains. He keeps a journal of his adventures and fights injustice where he finds it with a revolver and his dead father's sawed-off double-barreled shotgun. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Or "Hell on Wheels"
 In particular, the story focused on Cullen Bohannon, a former Confederate soldier who initially tracked down the Union soldiers who murdered his wife and young son during the American Civil War. In the process he became a foreman and later chief engineer on the railroad, after his quest led him to Hell on Wheels.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 08:20:39 PM »
I do like the Hell on wheels idea

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 08:56:31 PM »
What type of rifle would a civilian use in the late 1860's? I'm torn between portraying a buffalo hunter or a renegade or something similar

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »
1866 Winchester

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 07:09:04 PM »
Just going by production numbers, the 1866 would have been more common than the 1873 well after 1873, perhaps until the later 1870s.

But, it seems likely a Confederate soldier, after the war, would have probably come up with enough money to buy some new clothes before he got enough to buy the latest rifle. He might, however, have a Henry or a Spencer that he "liberated" from some Yankee that no longer needed it.

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 08:03:49 PM »
It depends on where you are at in your impression.  There are "museum quality - living history interpreters", to "themed camper/shooters", cos-players, or entertainment-performers. You'll find each represented here. Some really take the academics/research seriously. Others do it to a comfortable degree, while others are interested in having fun. In addition to that, there are also those who act and do stunt work earning a living professionally as performers. Target the group you want to hang out with them and strum up a conversation. I'm one of the hated "stitch counters" but I don't look down on those who do it differently. Life's too short for giving someone a rough time about things like that.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
One thing I've really liked about CasCity is people are generally willing to help anyone who asks for it, regardless of their level of dedication.  I'm in the Grand Army of the Frontier, and we have people who do (just as Dave said) museum quality uniforms and equipment, some who take it seriously but not to that level, and some barely qualify, but they're all welcome.  One of our guys told me once he's never been involved in any other shooting sport where the top competitors are always willing to help other people get better.  I can tell you that Dave has always been willing to help anyone regardless of the level of authenticity they're at.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Tsalagidave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 11:17:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind words brother.
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com