Author Topic: 30wcf Practice Load's  (Read 9776 times)

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
Re: 30wcf Practice Load's
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2019, 06:53:14 pm »
My Good Monsieur Austin

Here ya go

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/06/stick-flake-and-ball-do-you-know-your-powder-properties/

BTW, since 2013 I discovered the Hivernaughts were all familiar with what they called
The Load
Which is basically a reduced rifle load of 8-12 grains of most pistol powders with a light lead bullet.
Prof Marvel

Okay, I just wanted to clear that up about what a stick powder was but what did John mean by a "translucent" stick powder? Was this one of the Cordite, Balistite, Cannonite, Rifleite powders?

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
Re: 30wcf Practice Load's
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2019, 06:58:56 pm »
I thought I knew what I know but knew not the thought I thought I once thought I knew....I think!! Edjumikate me!

I was trying to catch up on early smokeless powder testing with the 30-40. I kind of came to the following understanding but then wanted to review the civilian market on the 30 WCF from 1894, wish John was here :-(

After reading through what seemed like a few thousand pages of reports to The Chief of Ordinance between 1894 and 1900, I have tried to condense and simplify as much as I could.

The US Military tested many smokeless powders between 1892 and 1896. Wetteren powder had been their "Standard" base of which other powders were compared. By mid 1894 200,000lbs of Peyton powder had been used or stored for use with the .30 cal. .308 cartridges. Mostly only designated by test numbers, formulas constantly changing, it really is not known what powder designated names were actually used. At one point Leonard N7/16 looks just like Sharpshooter granulars. By 1895 Peyton powders were the powders of choice 5,000lbs more ordered. Whistler & Aspinwall specifically named and a designation W.-A. was used. By 1896 the military was still testing "Samples" from quite a few companies but had contracts (1896-1897) for three; Peyton, Dupont and W.-A. (Leonard) now controlled by Laflin & Land. Ruby was mentioned a few times but seems to have been tested in larger cannon type rifles and mortars.

1897 details more testing for the .30 and both .45 & .38 Colts. Several powders for the two later but Dupont No.1 named caught my attention. This could be the new (green can) No.1 that looks like sharpshooter and not the old No.1 (red powder keg) that is rock looking granulars. However, A few notes in 1899, I see Dupont is described as a cylindrical graphite black with dark green tinge. .053 in length and .041 in diameter. Laflin & Rand W.A. is noted with the dash removed. The .38 was using a few powders, Dupont No. 1, No. 2 as well as Laflin & Rand "Sporting Powder".

I think it would be safe to conclude that of the three powder companies under contract, the following would be used for the civilian market for the .30 caliber type cartridges.

Peyton Smokeless Rifle Powder (unknown)
Dupont No. 1 Rifle Smokeless Powder (cylindrical shape)...owes more research since my Dupont No. 1 samples are disc granulars
Laflin & Rand W.A. 30 (disc shape)

Most granular samples I have for the civilian market appear to be perforated disc powders which appear to have been popular as "Sharpshooter" smokeless powder from 1897 to 1948

Of course, the 30-30 was manufactured by Winchester in 1894 using a smokeless rifle powder of which I have yet to look for....to be continued

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Menu Editor Pro 1.0.2 | Copyright 2014, Matthew Kerle