Author Topic: Favorite loads for your 86  (Read 7627 times)

Offline Buckingham

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Favorite loads for your 86
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 05:23:45 am »
I thought I was on to a good post here as I am looking for a good load for my 1886 in 50/110, but there seems to be very little in the way of loads for this small cartridge, I cant even find dies for it, are there any other 50 caliber dies that can be used ? With care of course, and what is the best bullet weight for the very slow twist rate, all my moulds are for 650/750 gr bullets, (for other rifles), so I need a good 350gr flat nose mould for this 50/110 caliber cartridge ? Any constructive advice would be gratefully accepted .

Offline jthbjr

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
I have a book called "The Winchester Lever Legacy" by Clyde "Snooky" Williamson Published in 1988. It has loads for almost all 86, 92 and 94 cartridges. Mr Williamson was a friend of George Madis. He had access to lots of rifles. He loved to experiment. He also seems to have had almost unlimited time. He must have had a very understanding wife too. He gives smokeless loads together with velocity and photos of the targets. Some of his loads seem pretty hot. Lots of detail on each cartridge. I don't remember when or where I got the book. If someone has a specific request I can look it up with the disclaimer that it is not my data.
My own load for my 86 in 45-70 is simple. 330 grain Gould cast 20 to 1 with 72 grains of 2f. I shot some smokeless loads long ago but settled on that load.
Jthbjr

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:02 pm »
I have that book also, great read, funny guy. He could have made a career out of writing. Seems he also had unlimited amount of deer to shoot at also.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 02:51:00 pm »
How about sharing your favorite loads for your 1886?

In my rebored M86 Lyman 385gr gas check bullet cast dead soft, sized .457,  Lyman graphite lube, 20.0 grs SR 4759, NO wad or filler, using a Lyman tang sight it would put four into 1" and the fifth invariably out an inch or so. That was when I was young and had good eyes.  I won many, many turkeys with it at our local club. Very pleasant to shoot with the rifle butt.

For hunting I used the same bullet with 55grs IMR 4831 (case full, cannot get too much in case) approx. 1500 fps. Deadly on both ends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2020 CAScity.com