Author Topic: 'NOTHER "GUESS WHAT"  (Read 8871 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
Re: 'NOTHER "GUESS WHAT"
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 07:58:05 pm »
Id be not in favor of motor oil ..it would be a mess and leach out forever

Major
Nope -- it aint a mess and it dont leach out at all.

I took dry bag leather (carving / embossing - whatever you guys call it) made me a crossdraw flap holster for a navy colt - soaked the holster in oil for ages then I blotted it out on old towelling to get rid of the excess - that gun has lived in that holster for twenty plus years - not a sign of rust ever and no deterioration of the leather either (surprisingly) - It would soften the leather too much for some applications

We all know the kind of chemical reactions we get with tanned leather and metal - cant keep brass ammo in a bullet belt for long at all without it going green and orrible

My suggestion was specific to the Question of Coffinmakers leather sleeve rusting his henery rifle - and I would bet it would work better for that than anything else thats been posted  -  dont diss it if ya aint tried it I reckon.

Cant do this with neatsfoot or other organic leather friendly oils - ya still get rust. 

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 06:12:16 pm »
      Greetings, All!

Well, my Uberti Henry is back from the Colorado School of Trades. Although I do not have
post-able photos yet, the Cleaning Rod Trap was reamed out to a depth of 7"; I had requested
a depth of 7-1/2", but the Upper Tang Screw got in the way. In spite of that, the Buffalo Arms
Late Four Piece Cleaning Rod Set ( Part #WCR04NEW ) fits just fine.
   Although the new S&S Buttplate w/ Cleaning Rod Trap ( Part # ...?... ) is a bit proud on the
heel of the plate ( I did not request of them to grind / polish the Plate ), it's a fine fit everywhere
else. The old Screw Holes were plugged, and the work is, as always, First Rate.
   As You All may know, I'm not a CAS Shooter, just a Vintage Arms Aficionado, and my Henry is
intended to be my "Vintage Camp Gun"; and, in an effort to minimise bulk, but maintain serviceability,
I demanded the traditional accessory of the Buttplate Cleaning Rod Trap, keeping my Oil Bottle,
Bore Mop and Brush elsewhere convenient. I am satisfied!
   Anyone else desiring an identical Buttplate should contact S&S promptly, as I can't imagine
them having many of these...

M.T.Marfield
                     10-02-19
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:08:08 am by mtmarfield »

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2019, 11:55:42 pm »
Well, I'm a definitely gonna have to wait till next week to purchase a similar buttplate. I've been wanting to put a rifle stock on my carbine mainly because I like the look of many of the original 19th century 66 carbines that have that stock on them. Makes them look cooler in my eyes

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 02:10:19 am »
      Greetings, NS!

I've seen photos of them ( Madis' book? ), and I have a fondness for crescent buttplates...
On guns that don't kick!
   Post photos! Did you swap out the rear sight yet?

M.T.Marfield

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 12:23:02 am »
My 66 carbine dont kick, least for me. I'm a pretty big Indian.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 01:37:41 am »
      Greetings, NS!

I have a Win '76 in .45-75-350, and a Replica Win '76 in .50-95-300 that are comfortable to shoot;
I did, however, have a Replica Win "Hi-Wall" in .45-120-3.25 that was positively vicious! Our Henrys,
'66s and '73s are non-issues.
   I think that the Rifle Buttstock on a '66 Carbine would be classy, different, and authentic; you should
do it with the Cleaning Rod Trap, as well. I like the idea of always having a convenient cleaning rod for
the obvious uses, as well as knocking out possible bore obstructions. Do it!

M.T.Marfield

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 10:24:26 am »
Well mtmarfield, hopefully I'm able to get that buttplate next payday.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2019, 04:27:12 pm »
      Greetings!

Bravo! Keep Us posted!

MTM

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 12:30:13 am »
      Greetings!

Here's an image of my buttstock...

M.T.Marfield

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 08:28:03 am »

WAY KOOL!!!  Really nice job cutting out the stock to fit the Butt Plate.  Really nice photo of yer Butt (Snicker snicker).  Often I get a question at the loading table (or unloading) of "Why does your Henry rattle."  Cleaning rod (Brass) inna Butt Stock.  Really handy it is too.  Good On Ya.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 11:51:44 pm »
      Greetings, CM!

Yes, I'm very pleased with the results, and I'm a little more than goofy about
things being the way they're supposed to. Gotta be able to push a wet patch at
the end of the day, or knock out a stubborn case. I need to get to bullet casting...

M.T.Marfield