Author Topic: What primer to use?  (Read 93 times)

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
What primer to use?
« on: August 18, 2019, 10:36:23 am »
What primer does one use in reloading the 44-40? Large Pistol or Large Rifle? I'm looking at buying my first  44-40 rifle (Uberti 73). I was able to try it out, so I loaded up some shells using APP, 200 gr. bullets and Federal Large Pistol Primers. The rifle has been tuned up. All I got were light primer hits, no kaboom. Pistol primers are shorter than rifle primers. So would rifle primers be better? I adjusted the hammer spring, but still getting a few misfires (recook the hammer and usually the shell works). The firing pin is not broken. So is this an ammo problem or firearm problem.

Two-Bit Charlie

Offline Abilene

• Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
Re: What primer to use?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 11:34:32 am »
Well, it could be an ammo problem if you didn't seat the primers all the way.  But other than that, firearm problem.  Use large pistol primers.  Federals are the easiest to set off, so the action is too light or not adjusted properly or has some other power robbing thing going on in the hammer fall or bolt.  Does it have a short stroke kit?  That might affect headspace.

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:17:15 pm »
No, it doesn't have a short stroke in it.

Two-bit Charlie

Offline Abilene

• Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 04:03:44 pm »
With the hammer back, push the firing pin extension forward with your thumb to see if it moves forward and backward smoothly. 

Very possible that whoever tuned it up took a little too much off the main spring, if screwing in the strain screw is not giving you 100% ignition. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 10:35:20 am »

Hey There Two Bit   :D

PLUS ONE too Abilene.

Whom ever "tuned" your rifle actually didn't know what they were doing.  The biggest bang for your buck in a Toggle Link Rifle is a "REALLY GOOD" action job.  Everything needs to work in concert.  If you reduce the Main Spring, you're obligated to also reduce the Firing Pin Return Spring.  Easy to get to the point you can ONLY use FEDERAL primers because the others are all too hard by comparison.

Short answer to your initial question, you want to use PISTOL primers.  Modern 44-40 cases are manufactured to utilize Large Pistol Primers.  Most all in the CAS game use Federal Large Pistol because they are the most reliable ignition source with reduced springs.

I would suggest you will probably need to start over with a nice Brandy Knew-Two-You Main Spring.  Or you may consider a commercial reduced main spring from Slick Magic or The Smith Shop.  Your current spring is junque   :o