Author Topic: Too many screws on my Colt 1860 Army ....  (Read 1040 times)

Offline blackpowder

• Very Active Citizen
  • USN Veteran
Too many screws on my Colt 1860 Army ....
« on: August 10, 2019, 07:01:50 am »
Howdy,

I am well aware that I may sound very stupid asking this question - but it's been bugging me for a long time. There is an extra screw on my colt which seems to serve no purpose. I am talking about the screw on the left side barrel just on top of the wedge. iI doesn't have any effect on the wedge. The wedge can be removed and inserted regardless of this screw and the pistol shoots and operates well enough with or without this screw in place. So what the He.. is it fer ??
 ???

"A horse is a horse, it ain't make a difference what color it is" -  John Wayne

Offline River City John

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
    • River City JAC
Re: Too many screws on my Colt 1860 Army ....
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 07:18:31 am »
Meant as a stop so wedge isn't pulled out all the way.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John

Online Abilene

• Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 09:22:00 am »
Yeah, the little lip on the end of the spring on top of the wedge should catch against the screw head and prevent the wedge from falling all the way out easily.  If yours can fall out easily when tapped out the maybe that spring is goobered?

Offline blackpowder

• Very Active Citizen
  • USN Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 01:02:33 pm »
well, I don't need to tap it. I just push the wedge in with my finger on the right and pull it out on the left side. It does slightly catch on the screw but falls out all the same. Maybe it's just worn out. 
"A horse is a horse, it ain't make a difference what color it is" -  John Wayne

Online Abilene

• Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 01:15:18 pm »
No big deal unless you are afraid it might fall out when handling or shooting it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 03:19:20 pm »
PLUS ONE too Abilene.

So long as the wedge stays in place while your shooting, it's a "No Call."  Often when Cap Guns are set up to be loaded on a cylinder loading stand, the wedge is set just as you describe.  Makes it mush easier and faster to take it apart for the loading stand.

PS:  Forgot to add .... It's not too many screws.  That screw is suppose to be there.  For the purpose Abilene mentioned.  Keep ya from dropping it inna gravel (suppose to anyway).

Oh Bother  ... forgot to mention ... Often CAS shooters will turn down the screw head so it doesn't do anything.  Just fills the hole.  This is done to facilitate easy removal for "reloading" on a Cylinder Stand.  I personally just make em easy to pull out.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:33:33 pm by Coffinmaker »