Author Topic: Making BP .45s work in long gunz  (Read 37517 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Making BP .45s work in long gunz
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 07:21:29 AM »
Nice tip, Snapshot!

How long before shooting have you loaded some of these loads?  I'm wondering 'cause of the possibility of the Olive Oil gettiing onto and ruining the BP it touches.  'Course, Olive Oil might be flammable which would make that a non-problem.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 08:43:45 AM »
Steel Horse, please have me exused for not replying earlier....Ya-all see I am still learning how to manuwer around CAS-City.
It is so darn frightening with houses all around you------!

Some of the 45s with that olive-prelubed cardboard have rested in my ammo-locker for 7-8 months, no trouble what so ewer.
Not even in the heat of summer has this combination given me any trouble!
Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 10:49:27 AM »
Thanks, Snapshot.  7-8 months?  It sounds like something I might just have to try!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:18:17 PM »

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »
Pards, I've read through this thread more times than my tired eyes can remember and I've come to the conclusion that I'm
doing something "wrong" with my 45 Colt '66 Yellowboy.  Mine works all the time and I don't clean it 'till end of match.
I am going to check the load, the bullet weight, the brand of cases, etc.  Oh, I shoot REAL stuff.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 09:54:56 AM »
 ;D   Yepp, you`re 100% right pard, if it works close to perfection there must be something wrong.
A 45lc.load ain`t suposed to work flawless, and for sure not in a Winchester replica like your 66 or my 73.
Do we do something wrong since we can go on shoot`n all day, or load on monday and shoot all week.

If we changed powder perhaps it stopped working so nice.?
Na....dont think so.....why change a prowen thing, that newfangled smokeless sure is a pasing fad anyway.!
Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »
I've been followin' this too, and I thought I musta been an aberation too!  ::) ::)   My '73 has been feedin' BP .45s since I got it, with nary a burp!   :D     The cases look just as dirty (or clean ::)) as the ones comin outa my pistols!  Must be sumthin' in the air up here in Nevada Territory! ::) ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Sunwapta Haze

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 12:15:40 AM »
While I don't shoot 45s I do shoot 38 spl. with the Holy Black in a '94 Marlin.  I have had much trouble over the past with carrier fouling from blow by.  I thought I was getting chamber fouling but determined that was not the case as, when I experienced feed problems, I could easily push the cartridge into the chamber with my finger.  Basically it appeared as though the enrty angle into the chamber was too steep and the cartridge was wedging against the frame. 

I have found the solution to my problem!  I am now using a Redding crimp die (after trying RCBS Cowboy crimp die, Lee taper crimp die and Lee Factory crimp die  - none of which would allow more than 20 rounds to be fired before feed problems occured).  I just finished shooting a 10 stage match and side matches without any intermediate cleaning and the last round feed just as easily as the first.  I am a happy happy man  :) :).
Vaya con Dios, Amigos

Sunwapta Haze
Darkside Acolyte

Offline Capt_C

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
I don't shoot black, so I'm not meaning to present myself as an expert regarding the blow-back issue in .45-Colt.

However, I do know that the .454-Casull is chambered 'very tight' to help deal with the high pressures of that hot-rod round.  If you wanted to test the tight-chamber theory to reduce or eliminate blow-back you could re-size your .45-Colt brass in .454-Casull dies, and shoot the resulting handload in a firearm chambered in .454-Casull.

As for design parameters related to cartridge pressure, I believe the .44-Mag and .357-Mag are close to the same. 

And for what it's worth, you get more blow-back with LOW-pressure SMOKELESS-Powder loads in .44-Mag and .45-Colt than you do in .44-40 and .38-40... this is my experience anyway, as my .45-Colt / .44-Mag cases are much dirtier after a shoot as compared to my .44-40 / 38-40 cases.--CC

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 11:19:04 AM »
I may have missed it in this thread but didn't we used to set the lead melter at an annealing temperature and dip the mouths of the cases in the molten lead until the lead slides off and then drop them into cool water?  Works for me.

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »
Guys, I'd appreciate it you stick to the topic of thread, the .45 in lever guns. I want this thread to helpful to those who are working with that combination. The other caliber discussions are not helpful.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
Here's a pic showing just how very well annealing and partial sizing the .45 Colt case works with b.p. ;D
Now that's what I call clean!..........

Happy Trails,
w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
Fer w44wff...............

Mine are just the same, tumbled mine Sunday so all mine are nice `n` shiney agin!! BUT next shoot I`ll post some as well, really is a case of .................

MYTH BUSTED!!
What I`ve done (looks like you have too) is use Magtech as they have a nice dotted line jest where ya wann be heatin,  `n` neck sizin.  ;D

Paladin (Whut lurvs his .45  :D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com