Author Topic: Touching Up Case Colors?  (Read 8642 times)

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Touching Up Case Colors?
« on: July 31, 2019, 11:20:27 PM »
Hi Folks. I just bought a really nice Taylors Cattleman 12/22 5.5inch SAA. Very cool gun. Minor cosmetic trouble. The case colors didn't take in one corner of the frame. It's white metal.
Any idea how to touch up? I have the impression this part of the gun doesn't take bluing very well. I do have regular blue as well as Vans.
Something  to put a little color in this area.
Anyone have any experience with this.
Thanis in advance.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Touching Up Case Colors?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 07:19:45 AM »
I think folks have tried cold blue paste and a little heat, probably from a heat gun or hair drier. I would experiment before actually trying it on a visible spot.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 04:16:45 PM »

I have used Cold Blue paste to touch-up a funky spot of CCH.  I just "dabbed" on without rubbing.  Be sure and clean the area with Denatured Alcohol firs.  You may need to keep a little oil on the spot to prevent flash rust   :o

It isn't perfect.  However, it does look "fine from the Freeway"   ::)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:31 PM »

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:51:54 PM »
Go to the Gunsmithing thread here and do a search for Faux color casehardening. A very good thread on this is there with some excellent photos of the results used. :)

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »
Hi Folks. I just bought a really nice Taylors Cattleman 12/22 5.5inch SAA. Very cool gun. Minor cosmetic trouble. The case colors didn't take in one corner of the frame. It's white metal.
Any idea how to touch up? I have the impression this part of the gun doesn't take bluing very well. I do have regular blue as well as Vans.
Something  to put a little color in this area.
Anyone have any experience with this.
Thanis in advance.
You may of seen some of my colorcase work here. At times an area comes out gray and I have brought the color out that is part of the case hardening colors. No chemicals are needed to do a good job. With the part clean and not assembled depending on were it?s at a focused heat can be applied to bring out the color. Not to confused with fake color case you are bring out the true colors of the case. This has worked on bone case but I?ve never tried it on cyenide case. Point a focused flame to the area needing work for a short time and the moment the color comes quench in water. Dry and oil. Be sure the flame is pointed in from the edge rather then towards the edge or the color will go to the edge and look poorly. It?s kind of art work.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1159
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 12:54:06 AM »
You may of seen some of my colorcase work here. At times an area comes out gray and I have brought the color out that is part of the case hardening colors. No chemicals are needed to do a good job. With the part clean and not assembled depending on were it?s at a focused heat can be applied to bring out the color. Not to confused with fake color case you are bring out the true colors of the case. This has worked on bone case but I?ve never tried it on cyenide case. Point a focused flame to the area needing work for a short time and the moment the color comes quench in water. Dry and oil. Be sure the flame is pointed in from the edge rather then towards the edge or the color will go to the edge and look poorly. It?s kind of art work.

Thank You Kent, that makes great sense!

I do not know why it never occured to me but It is exactly like "eyeball tempering" the edge of a knife or chisel, by applying heat to the back of the knife, and watching the colors run towards the edge.

like this

and this

(images borrowed shamelessly off the internet)

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 09:48:56 AM »

Something we used to use for an artificial Color Case finish on single shot rifle actions was Tincture of Benzoin. We polished the action to a mirror finish, degreased and painted a coat of the tincture on. We then used the small tip in an acetylene torch with the oxygen turned up high and played the flame over the action. It took practice to get it right but you could get excellent colors this way.  The amount of time the flame lingered in one place determined the color you got. It was tricky because you needed to move the flame just before you saw the color you were looking for. With practice you could duplicate the real thing.

The colors were not permanent. Over time handling and sunlight would fade the colors but for awhile they looked like the real thing.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com