Author Topic: cap and ball trick  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
cap and ball trick
« on: July 19, 2019, 07:24:02 PM »
Here is an idea for loading the Eras Gone 125-grain pointed bullet the type Colt used in their paper cartridges in the.36 caliber Colt Navy revolver . They cast a bit oversize for the chambers and deformed badly on loading.

The chamber mouths have had the sharp edge chamfered which helps. I tried giving them a tumble lube with Lee liquid ALOX and that helped a lot. This seem to work about the same in my Uberti  ?51 Navy.
When they are being used in the snubby revolver, (yes I am one of those) with a modified tip in my tower of Power (plug for DD) the damage is slight.
Since I am using petroleum compatible Black MZ it seemed reasonable to try that for round ball loading.
It makes swagging the ball into the chamber easy with a lot less effort.
Right now, I am in a moving situation and I do not know if that lubricant is compatible with real black gun powder.
I am not sure what that stuff is exactly so as soon as I am settled that is a test to try.
Any information on what ALOX is would be appreciated.
Yr? Obt? Svt?
Bunk.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: cap and ball trick
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 08:24:01 AM »
Alox does not work well with real BP.  However, I dip my spherical projectiles in a tuna can of melted 90/10 beeswax/olive oil, and that seems to work very well indeed.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 09:14:16 AM »
Thanks Dry Dock,
I have been shooting the ALOX coated rounds with Black MZ in my snubbies and 1851 .36 Navies.
So no problem there but I did not want to gum up a barrel by using these coated projectiles either bullet or ball with real Gun Powder. I did that once, learned a lesson, and never again.
The 128 grain bullet when loaded with real Gun Powder does not leave much space for a lube wad. So grease over the top whether I like it or not, and I don't,  is the only way to keep fouling soft.With  BMZ there is room for a bit more powder since lube is not needed.
Bunk

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:18:36 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 09:31:10 AM »
I've been shooting these in an 1851, an 1861, and a Pocket Navy, all .36s.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »

I have some of those.  Compliments of Bunk.  I haven't shot any of them yet.  My "Go Too" projectile in .36 is the ubiquitous EPP UG - 36 (Shameless plug for Dirty Dick Dastardly) which work very well indeed.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
No need for pointed boolits in Navy pistols.  At the distances we shoot they are not worth the extra bother.  Out to 50 yards or so the little EPP-UG 36 has everything you could ask for in your .36 Cal. pistols.

Hold center and enjoy the shoot!

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 04:21:41 PM »
That is true Dick, but they are fun to shoot and knock the tar out of the targets. No doubt about a hit.
Once I get a lot of distraction out of my life I may try them but I only have a few .36 caliber guns including a Capt. Schaeffer beauty.
Mostly I shoot .44 snubbies because I have been heavily influenced by a certain "gun plumber" we all know and love.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »
Hi Bunk,

Check out my pictures under cap and ball paper cartridges.  The initial run is with the Eras Gons 125 conical.   A tuna can full of spg that I heated.    and yes, it is DD's tower of power to load.

Good luck
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com