Author Topic: dirty Scholfield  (Read 2261 times)

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
dirty Scholfield
« on: July 18, 2019, 07:38:57 AM »
Have a nickel Scholfield 45 and been loading for years, but I loaded up 50 some 45 Schofield Starline brass with 4.6 grs Trail Boss with a 20/1 cast 230 gr. RN. .451 dia. all shot fine, and close to P.O.A. When done firing the Schofield was really dirty, and found one split case. Wondering why so dirty, as I have used 5.0grs. Unique and was a litlle dirty but not like this. I'am thinking light load cases not expanding enough to seal to the cylinder, or oversize cylinder. The one case can be just old from sizing, the split in vertical in the middle of the case. Just wondering if anyone out there has had the same thing.
Thanks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: dirty Scholfield
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 09:48:02 AM »

Certainly.  Lotz.  But first ..... A CAVEAT:  When I still shot Smokeless, I DID NOT like Trail Boss.  To me, it shot very dirty.  Very Very dirty and the residue got real gummy with most lubricants.

OK.  For the most part, 45 cartridge cases WILL NOT expand to seal the chamber with light loads.  45 cases may not expand to seal the chamber even with heavy loads.  It's the nature of the beast.  It matters not whether the cases are 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, C45S or home made variations there of.  The problem will be made worse by oversize chambers. 

Unique shoots much cleaner than Trail Boss.  If you really wanna have fun, try light loads of BP or Subs.  The fouling will be impressive.  45 Schofield as well as 45 Colt cases will split occasionally.  Split cases are normal and the result of a piece of brittle brass.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 06:54:17 AM »
You are right again Coffinmaker, I quess I will go back Unique for the Schofield, but I like Trail Boss in my 44/40s as the cases expand and less blow back. Thanks again.
Reno

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:08:59 PM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 07:24:01 AM »
Hi
I annealed and shot 30 Starline Schofield cases with no blowback.  I just used a socket with a bolt in it, chucked into a drill.  I just heated then until they change color (followed the instructions on YouTube).
4.5 grains of Tite group.

Later

Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »

HEY MJS   :D

Same as my Hi Tech set-up for annealing.  Turn the Socket slowly with a cordless DeWalt.  You wouldn't believe how hot that socket gets after annealing 150 cases.  :o

When I was still shooting that Heathen Fad Smokeless stuff, I really liked Tight Group.  Not position sensitive and only temperature sensitive when it got really chilly.  Nice manly BARK even with light loads.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 04:11:30 PM »
HEY MJS   :D

Same as my Hi Tech set-up for annealing.  Turn the Socket slowly with a cordless DeWalt.  You wouldn't believe how hot that socket gets after annealing 150 cases.  :o

When I was still shooting that Heathen Fad Smokeless stuff, I really liked Tight Group.  Not position sensitive and only temperature sensitive when it got really chilly.  Nice manly BARK even with light loads.

HI Coffinmaker

I bought the world's best socket set at Harbor Freight for under $10 and have a socket for .45's, one for .45-70 and one for Krags (so far) and I still haven't used them all.  I occasionally dip the socket in the water too.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 07:55:22 AM »
I raised my load on the Schofield from 4.6 gr. Trail Boss Schofield brass with the 230 gr. cast to 4.9 grs. and I have a little blow by, but nothing like before. I know with the 45 cases it will never fire clean like my 44s. The only way to get away from it is to do as Coffenmaker and others say and  anneal the cases, but I can live with the way it's going now as it does not take any longer to clean the revolver and brass as it did with Unique or black powder.
Thanks to all
Reno

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 01:14:15 PM »
Hi

You really should try annealing, I get (KNOCK on wood) NO blow back.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 01:35:44 PM »
I bought a Lee Melter and filled it with white Playground sand.  Heated the sand to 850 degrees. (Lyman lead thermometer) then stuck a case neck down in it for 5 seconds.  Dip in water and do another.  I usually put one case in as I pull the previous one out, more or less a continuous process. Move around the melter to keep the sand temps even.  Yes, wear gloves.  Yet to split a case mouth since I began doing this.  If it works for 10.4 Vetterli it'll work for anything.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 09:46:14 PM »
Trail Boss is very dirty powder. It's only real advantage is it fills the old black powder cases nicely so someone doesn't accidently do a double charge.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com