Author Topic: coated bullets and black powder???  (Read 5481 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: coated bullets and black powder???
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 08:08:38 PM »
Forget the jacket bullets - did you ever make the comparison between hard cast and softER in the same gun, same weight, same velocity? .............. why not go for a 70 calibre hole instead of 45 ............. soft lead wont break up and shed like a jacket slug. Try it one day ya might be surprised.   

I get 70cal +or- with the 44 240 gr. jhp...But you don't get the penetration that you get with a hard cast swc...And ifn you ever have to shoot something heavier boned than a white tail deer ,,The hard cast bullet is the bullet to have when you can't pick the perfect shot angle.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »

I get 70cal +or- with the 44 240 gr. jhp...But you don't get the penetration that you get with a hard cast swc...And ifn you ever have to shoot something heavier boned than a white tail deer ,,The hard cast bullet is the bullet to have when you can't pick the perfect shot angle.

No handgun hunting in this country so that part is a moot point

Most fellers here only get to shoot soft skinned critters or hogs - a few see heavier deer (Sambar / Reds)

A female hog or youngun side on I class as a fairly soft target, gets interesting pretty quick when grandpappy comes snorting out of the bushes with two inches of mud caked on his shoulders.   

Would not have thought it all that clever or particularly ethical to go plinking something heavier boned than a whitetail deer with a 900FPS pistol load ????

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »
Several of my pals are shooting powder coated bullets of various colours in their .45 and 9mm bottom feeders. Some have tried them in BPCRs as well, claiming good results.

I doubt that they will sustain a long string without some issues, but I have no experience so I can't say for sure. I do know that when it's hot and dry here in the summer, both PP and grease bullet loads require a bore wipe every 5 rds and a chamber swab EVERY rd for best results.

Like smokeless powder, this powder coating is just a passing fad .....  ;)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:26:50 PM »

Offline Wishbone52

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 9310
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »
I shoot 38-40 in SASS. I cast and powdercoat my own bullets. Been shooting them unlubed for a few years. NO problems at all with them. I shot with SPG lube before that. Same performance and no cleaning problems with PC either. Thousands of rounds. Just my 2 cents worth, Wishbone...

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 11:02:59 AM »
Wishbone,
Which brand of BP are you using? What charge? Any fillers like Cream of Wheat?
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »
not to hi jack but...
Ranch what do you think about # 2 alloy in an original trapdoor too hard or ok
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 11:07:00 AM »
If the bullet drops at the correct diameter for your chamber it'll work fine. The original specs for the trapdoor called for bullets at 16-1 alloy.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com