Author Topic: Dixie Lyman .45 Colt cowboy mold  (Read 1868 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Dixie Lyman .45 Colt cowboy mold
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:48:48 AM »
 Dixie Gun Works sells a .45 Colt 250 grain mould they call the "Lyman Cowboy Action Shooting" mould. I have two main questions please. What is the diameter? Do the lube grooves hold enough lube for black powder revolver shooting? I do not have any .45 Colt rifles so I would only be using it for revolver.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/4873/category_id/341/product_name/RL6338+Lyman%27s+%22Cowboy+Action+Shooting%22+Bullet+Mould+-+.45+Long+Colt%2C+250+Grain

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
Re: Dixie Lyman .45 Colt cowboy mold
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »
Greetings my Good Monsieur Pigeon

One day, vendors will learn to post all the details of products, then they will sell more!!

You wil have to ask Dixie, but it looks exactly like the Lyman #452664 which is a 250 gr flat nose of .452 nominal diameter. The only vendor I found listing these specs is Midway, which has the same price as dixie, but Track of The Wolf has them here for a little less, $79
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1199/1

Hope this helps
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 07:39:45 PM »

Not to be an ingratiating TWIT   :o  (Yes I am   :D)  Butt.  Iffin your looking to shoot em in Handguns, why such big ol heavy bullets??  Be me (Mr. Recoil WIMP) I'd be looking for something in the 180 or 200Gr weight.  Some less recoil.  I'd also be looking for "Big Lube" bullets.  It's real simple with "Big Lube" bullets.  They carry a boat load of lube.  Enough for anything.  Less Tar, More Taste if you will.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:53:37 PM »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 09:24:36 PM »
I have the Big Lube Mav Dutchman .44-40 but I kinda wanted a 2-cavity for the .45 Colt. As far as I know the Big Lube's are 6-cavity. I may end up with the Big Lube but I want to explore my options.

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 01:25:14 AM »
Not to be an ingratiating TWIT   :o  (Yes I am   :D)  Butt.  Iffin your looking to shoot em in Handguns, why such big ol heavy bullets??  Be me (Mr. Recoil WIMP) I'd be looking for something in the 180 or 200Gr weight.  Some less recoil.  I'd also be looking for "Big Lube" bullets.  It's real simple with "Big Lube" bullets.  They carry a boat load of lube.  Enough for anything.  Less Tar, More Taste if you will.

Ah My Dear Coffin

I too have the Big Lubes in 200gr and 250 gr (variety is good!) but I also desired more historically correct 2 cavity molds ... I am considering 300 gr as well, and have also picked up a 200 gr .358 rifle mold to try heavy-for-caliber 38?s ....

If I did not already have an old copy of the 250 gr .45 Colt mold I would be all over the one from Track..

Track gets a lot of my business, they are god to deal with and fair on shipping.

Yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 06:45:29 PM »

Hey Perfesser  :D

Well, here I are, the resident Kill Joy.  At's me.  Mr. contrary.  Yup.  Guilt as charged.  Anyway, There are two terms I fell very strongly about.  The two terms should be removed from repetition in the English Language.  Banished from my Lexicon at any rate.  Ah Ha !!!  The term "Period Correct" is much maligned and is just so much hogwash.  Likewise, "Historically Correct." 

The only things that need to be Histeracly Correct or Period Correct are museum displays.  If we were intended to mime our foforefathers and those halcyon days of yesteryear, we would live in Wall Tents and light our way with candles and Kerosene Lanterns.  So my thoughts on two cavity molds and hand crunched reloads are somewhat jaundiced.  Not that I am at all Opinionated.  ;)

Plus and however, you start messing around with 300Gr 45s, you will be flirting with the loads Mr. Keith used to blow up a bunch of Colts finest.  Tread with great caution.  Or naught  :P

I happen to like the "Big Lubes" as supplied by Springfield Slim.  Big, heavy bullets available .... sure.  However I prefer things in the 175 to 200Gr range.  I am not hunting Mastodon nor Peterbuilts so don't need a Bazooka.  ::) Just my thoughts.

I'm on the road.  Bored.  Feeling some Contrary and Neglected.  No insult intended.  Except for those two Teeth Grinding Terms.   ;D 

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »
I light my way with candles and kerosene lamps...  ???

Offline greenjoytj

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 10:39:21 PM »
Dixie Gun Works sells a .45 Colt 250 grain mould they call the "Lyman Cowboy Action Shooting" mould. I have two main questions please. What is the diameter? Do the lube grooves hold enough lube for black powder revolver shooting? I do not have any .45 Colt rifles so I would only be using it for revolver.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/4873/category_id/341/product_name/RL6338+Lyman%27s+%22Cowboy+Action+Shooting%22+Bullet+Mould+-+.45+Long+Colt%2C+250+Grain

According to Dixie via the link, Dixie says this bullet ?fit perfectly in the cylinders of most new reproduction single action pistols?.  To me that implies this mold will drop bullets at .452? to .453? for modern 45 Colt revolvers with a .451? groove diameter.
It also appears to be a bevel base bullet mold. It looks like the Lyman 452664 mold which I have in the 4 cavity version from Buffalo Arms (haven?t cast with it yet).
I didn?t order a Big Lube mold because of the large diameter bullet from their mold I own Ruger NV?s and don?t require bullet diameter near .456?.

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 04:22:59 AM »
My Dear Coffin and Capt Q

Oh Coffin, thou art not a killjoy, you are in fact a conversationalist (like myself) .
And better to  dicker bicker fight converse about differences in prefences than about politics,
because it is not good for one to blow ones stack and .... I see Mrs Marvel cocking the dart gun....

I myself use the phrase "historically accurate" only if making the point when I am at an event/place based on a specific time period-such as
a strictish Rondy, a sponsered museum event, or a specific re-enactment event, such as one of the special events at Bents Old Fort,
one of the events at El Rancho de las Golondrinas  (a Living History Museum near Santa Fe) or when I was a volunteer slave worker
blacksmith assistance docent at Fort Snelling ( 1812) and Gibbs Farm (1870)  ... 

At such times, we are attempting to educate the great unwashed public and convey actual facts and display and correctly use reproductions of
actual artifacts , and dress in the manner appropiate to the time ... I enjoy being a Docent/Instructor and babbling at people and comparing
history notes...

It is great fun, but also a lot of effort. IAnd when doing it I AM in a tipi, or an 1870's one-pole pyramid, and use candles & tinware & etc...
but it IS pretend, and the car and modern everything is just a few hundred yards away...

I myself several different goals in mind - and historicity is only one game of many....

I like the oldy HB 250ish gr .45 Colt bullet just because it was so ubiquitous and versatile, and I love pulling one out of a vest
pocket at a museum or event to show to the rubes tourists citizens what one looks and feels like and expound at length on the topic
Then I can pull a Brown Bess Musket ball out of onther vest pocket and play "compare and contrast" .... and then pull out a 45-90 buffalo cartridge...

I llike the Big Lubes BECAUSE of the Modernity - explicitly cuz they carry a ton o' lube for when i use BP. The .45's even work remarkably well in my .45 Underhammer .
I did not go lighter than the 200 gr Big Lube just cuz "too stubby" starts to loose accuracy at further distances - the old 45-70 "collar button"
never worked well for me....

If I need a really light load I use roundballs! lightly crimped, a light BP or smokeless load makes for a true powder puff wimp load!

Then I am playing with Heavy For Caliber bullets for specific reasons centered around the old Brit Webly manstoppers ... been watching Zulu & etc too much...
heavy bullet, lighter load... heavy and slow ....

" Get Down Eden"

https://www.youtube.com/embed/q2iKrEwQuJc

-----------
My Good Green

the problem is, Dixie only makes wordy statements, no facts backed up by numbers....
so we don't really know exactly what diameter bullets it drops, until they tell us.

I will have to go cast & measure some big lubes and report back on their diameter...

yhs
prof marvel

postscript:
I'm on the road.  Bored.  Feeling some Contrary and Neglected.  No insult intended.  Except for those two Teeth Grinding Terms.

I am on the sofa and comfortable and contrary. no offense taken, it's all just a game & fun. even the docent crap stuff.
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com