Author Topic: Uberti 1873 Dust Cover  (Read 9552 times)

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Uberti 1873 Dust Cover
« on: June 28, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
The dust cover on my new Uberti 1873 Carbine seems to me like it is too loose. Slides back and forth with no effort at all. I don?t want to take it off so please don?t recommend that but is there anything that I can do to  tighten that up a little? Maybe get a new one and try it??
"Never run a bluff with a six-gun".....Bat Masterson

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Uberti 1873 Dust Cover
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 08:34:48 AM »
Well you do need to take it off to fix it ...so   .....

There is simple spring under the cover that bears on the underside that adds tension..
on originals it is flat spring held with 1 screw
on Uberti's it a coil spring   

simply remove the one screw in the top cover and slide the cover to rear , the locator will slide out.
Cock the hammer and the cover will continue to the rear  and detach ( be careful here,  as the spring will try to leap out ..

you either replace the spring or try to stretch a bit for more tension, one other option would to add  1 # 8 steel shot  in the hole then the spring.

On originals remove the flat spring hold down screw and replace the flat spring,  Available from Winchester Bob
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 09:26:38 AM »
Can an original type be put on the Uberti??

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:25:59 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 01:10:50 PM »

Ah, .... sort of.  You can do anything for enough money.  The Uberti dust cover is designed to work the same as the original.  However, it gets there in a different way.  The frame is not drilled nor tapped for a flat spring.  It would be far more trouble than it is worth.  I must honestly say, In the years I built competition Toggle Link rifles for CAS, I never had reason to even see if an original sample example would fit.

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 01:15:50 PM »
Understood....... just curious

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 10:28:31 PM »
Was it always like that? Maybe the spring is missing or if the problem just started it might have just broken. Seems kind of odd to have broken but I guess anything can happen. Usually those will shoot the little ball bearing across the room if you're not careful.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 09:40:47 AM »

Well Hi Cliff  ;D

Yes, I must admit I have had occasion to get out the magnet and search for the tiny little ball hiding in the Dust Bunnies across the room under the "other" workbench by the door.  :o Never found it.  :'( It's still somewhere inna shop.  Hadda order up a new one.  Shipping was more than the tiny little part.  :P I actually ordered several other parts to make up a reasonable package.

MIKE M.

Unless I are greatly mistaken, you are down to "Take it Apart" to see if there is a simple fix for your loose Dust Cover.  Always the possibility some ham fisted assembly puke at Uberti forgot to put a part in there.  Happens sometimes.  Just remember to cover the the frame with yer thumb as you draw the Dust Cover back.  Or go buy a nice strong magnet first.  ::)

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »
I have in the neighborhood of 10 of those dust covers in my parts box, along with the rest of the parts that secure them. Why? They serve no useful purpose. They are just something else to remove when the rifle is disassembled for cleaning or repair.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 07:46:14 PM »

Ah Contrare Monsieur Wildman   ::)

Those little annoying Dust Covers serve a vital purpose.  When closed they serve to keep the crud and lint from your saddle scabbard out of the Carrier Block mortice.  Hence, off the Breach Block.  Insuring a nice clean functioning rifle when you dismount to defend the Hacienda.

If, On the other hand, you have no horse, Hence no saddle nor scabbard, they actually serve no purpose other than to annoy you.   ::)   Burma Shave   8) 

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
In days long gone I would indeed have left them intact, however shooting CAS they are not functional and as many rounds as are shot they do indeed create a minor annoyance if one is shooting straight walled cases with the one true powder, or even some the new fangled stuff, when indeed it becomes necessary to strip the rifle and degunk it occasionally to maintain some slight degree of functionality.  :P
 wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 10:11:40 PM »
Well Hi Cliff  ;D

Yes, I must admit I have had occasion to get out the magnet and search for the tiny little ball hiding in the Dust Bunnies across the room under the "other" workbench by the door.  :o Never found it.  :'( It's still somewhere inna shop.  Hadda order up a new one.  Shipping was more than the tiny little part.  :P I actually ordered several other parts to make up a reasonable package.

MIKE M.

Unless I are greatly mistaken, you are down to "Take it Apart" to see if there is a simple fix for your loose Dust Cover.  Always the possibility some ham fisted assembly puke at Uberti forgot to put a part in there.  Happens sometimes.  Just remember to cover the the frame with yer thumb as you draw the Dust Cover back.  Or go buy a nice strong magnet first.  ::)

Well at least it didn't put your eye out ;D I've often wondered if the fella that installs the dust covers at Uberti wears an eye patch. :o
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »
wildman1 would you want to sell one of your covers?

Offline blackpowder

• Very Active Citizen
  • USN Veteran
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 05:58:12 AM »
..... Usually those will shoot the little ball bearing across the room if you're not careful.

.....wish I would have read this before taking apart my 1873. While sliding off the dustcover that little ballbearing shot right up into my forehead - thought a sniper got me - and after bouncing of my noggin it hit the grass somewhere at my feet (yes, did it in my yard). I didn't even try to find it. Luckily the little spring landed on the table. If I understand the Major correctly a simple # 8 shot will fit? I rather buy a box of # 8 shotgun shells rather than order this little rascal from somewhere far away. Has anyone tried that?

"A horse is a horse, it ain't make a difference what color it is" -  John Wayne

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 03:53:34 PM »
wildman1 would you want to sell one of your covers?
We are in the middle of a shooting trip (4 more weeks) but yes I would sell one of them to you. I would include the spring, ball, screw and the little holder or slide if you needed it.
wM1

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 04:38:28 PM »
Yes I want the whole assembly. Give me a
Shout when you return and we can work something out, ok

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 08:44:02 AM »
Thanks for the part wildman1, the dustcover you sold to me fits much better...

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 12:56:03 PM »
If you ever want to shoot black powder at End of Trail, that dust cover is important!!! 

As many have already said, sounds like the spring and/or ball bearing are missing -- or gummed up.

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
It has the dustcover on it . Nothing was missing but the one on there was loose . The one wildman1 sent
To me fits better so all is well now

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 08:25:11 AM »
Do me a favor if you don't mind. Send me the old one as I like to mess with old stuff and see if I can get it to work.
wM1

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
Thanks buddy but I kinda want to keep it for my own parts bin . I am going to work on it some myself too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com