Author Topic: trigger pull on 1866  (Read 3508 times)

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
trigger pull on 1866
« on: June 27, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
hello,
     Can anyone tell me how to adjust the trigger pull on an 1866 Winchester Uberti replica?  I just got one, and want to make the trigger pull as much like the one on my 1876 as possible, which means reducing it.  Is it even possible?  Thanks!

Dave

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1201
Re: trigger pull on 1866
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 01:03:41 PM »
Yes it can be reduced.  Several ways, one of which is changing sear angles, which is a gunsmith job.  But lightening your main spring (if it is still stock), by either grinding it more narrow or replacing with an aftermarket lighter spring, will also lighten the trigger pull somewhat.  Same as on a single action pistol.

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »
There is a flat spring just ahead of the trigger held on by one screw.  You could try making it thinner but it is already very thin.  Sometime making it more narrow will lighten it up.  But before trying to modify it you should get a couple of spares just in case something goes wrong.
The one on my 66 is about 6.25 lb.  Which is way to heavy for a target gun but I only shoot blanks out of it so accuracy is not an issue.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:06:28 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 12:56:19 PM »

Well .... as mentioned above, yes the trigger pull can be lightened up.  Your first stop is the full cock ledge on the hammer.  Drag a finger nail over it from back to front.  Often there is a ridge at the very front of the ledge.  The other dead give away is if, when you pull the trigger, you can see the hammer move to the rear.  If you have the ledge, a fine, small file can remove it.  DO NOT change the angle of the ledge.  Next, you can thin the Trigger Return spring by narrowing it.

THE CAVEAT.  The Uberti or Winchester (Original) nor the Miroku Toggle Link rifles are NOT target guns.  If you reduce the trigger pull too much, the trigger will not clear the Half Cock Notch and you will be in real trouble.  The gun is not intended for a slow, gentile trigger pull.

As mentioned above, first step is to reduce or acquire an after-market Main Spring.

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »
Well, whether we like it or not, the Civil War is over and vigilante justice highly frowned on.  The west is settled. Today, 99.99% Henry's & 66's blast targets. 

Anyway, I know mine do.  The 66 & 60 are both capable of pretty good accuracy considering that the bolt isn't that much bigger than a strand of barb wire.  I myself simply shimmed the trigger springs on four of them several years ago, obtaining a 2.5 lb. pull on all.  Thousands of rounds later, nary a single problem. 

I recall one single incident that the Henry went off just before the sights were dead centered on the bull.  I felt the snap, released the trigger and the safety caught the hammer.  The gun (of course) didn't fire and I was amazed that I could release the trigger that quick. 

I have left all of my gun springs stock.  I don't shoot CAS and have toyed with the idea of lightening the elevator springs, but haven't.  (I'm a "wait 'til it breaks and then fix 'er", kinda guy. 

After shooting a 4" group at 200 meters and shooting more than several 5" groups at 300 meters, (with the 66)  I decided it was time to see if the 60 would group out there where the Turkeys live. 

(Chasing the Pig  https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,60428.0.html)

So far, there has been too much wind to play at 385.  (Wind right now is 10 mph @ 8:00 AM MT so no shooting today) 

A week ago, the 60 put 6 consecutive shots in .734" @ 50 yards.  (22.4 gr. RL-7 / Accurate 245GC bullet, Fed. LMPM primer, 1.605 COL - Av. Vel. 1258 fps )   (It is the target on the left in picture) 

Attached is a picture of "my Target Rifle".  The front sights are Lee Shaver's 17A dovetailed in.  The rear are his "Super Grade mid range".

Billy

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1664
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 12:09:11 AM »
      Greetings!

YB, THAT is one hell of a Target Rifle! BRAVO!

M.T.Marfield
                      7-01-19

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 06:04:32 AM »
Very nice Yeso Bill   ;D
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 07:56:31 PM »
I love it, a target Henry!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
Good shoot'n ,, seeing the stock build-up on your rifle ,, makes me think ,, back when these ( assault ) rifle were 1st. made and even now the copy's (were ) are made for 5ft. 8"  ( average ) soldier w/ very short neck's & short arms ,, yep ! i'm taller ,, have longer arms,, have to crane my neck over , have stock up higher on my cheek ,, sooo " I like your set up " looks comfortable ,, I might not shoot any better ,, but would be more comfortable " MISSING ".

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,, Hootmix.

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 09:25:41 PM »
Thanks guys for the compliments.  Wind permitting, I try and shoot the rifle every day and I think I have enjoyed it more than any other I've owned.

I want to haul it down to a local cowboy silhouette match and have been working real hard developing a load with RL-7.  Due to fouling, I quit the BP when the thermometer went in the 90s and continued to climb into the triple digits.  I have found that safe loads of RL-7 in the Henry are extremely heat sensitive.

If I recall correctly, the drop of the tang is 18 degrees.  More than the 92 & 94.  Crank up the tang sight and it is a lot easier to shoot with the Bradley cheek piece.  The only thing the matter with it is, it's not leather, which will be remedied come Winter.   :)

Billy 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com