Author Topic: From C&B to Conversion  (Read 12720 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: From C&B to Conversion
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 06:21:19 AM »
Ahhh Crow Choker, my mistake .  .  .    and I agree !! I know it's the "expensive" way to get a converted horse pistol, but what are we to do? You're right, Uberti doesn't offer a factory version so .  .  .  we have no choice.  But, I gotta say, a converted Dragoon is just nothing shy of an amazing beast!  Thanks for the kind words.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 01:05:22 PM »

I would like to share .... ALL of my Cap Guns are set up to load "Off the Gun". The wedge is very easy to set and remove.  The bore in the barrel lug has been polished as has the front of the arbor to promote easy removal.  I have no trouble with the R&D type of two piece conversion cylinder.  It only takes just a few seconds.

The Kirst Konverter gated conversion is UBER KOOL.  They are NOT just a "drop in" proposition.  They require some serious work.  They also require laying out some serious Folding Green.  There is also a serious CAVEAT.  Once you have cut the Cartridge Slot in the frame, you have MANUFACTURED a firearm.  You are allowed to do that.  For YOURSELF.  You must be very careful if you decide to sell it, not to run afoul BATFE.  If you don't have a license to manufacture, everything MUST go thru an FFL.  The BATFE DOES NOT have a sense of humor and WILL NOT take prisoners.

If you are curious, scroll up to STORM where pictures of my latest Gated Conversions reside.

Offline blackpowder

• Very Active Citizen
  • USN Veteran
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 07:32:39 AM »
Sure.  Happy to oblige.  Just to review, your Centaure .44 has approximately a .451 bore which makes it actually a .45 (Don't ask how that happened).

If you desire a compatible modern replica to play with, you only have two choices at present.  Uberti built guns and Pietta built guns.  To function satisfactorily, both will require a little set up.  The Uberti will require more "work" than a Pietta.  My personal suggestion would be a Pietta.  Pietta offer lots of barrel and choices of configuration.  One of which is an 1851 pattern gun in .44 which is actually a 45.  Uberti leave you with one configuration, an 1860 replica.

For converting, you only have one option with a .44 percussion gun.  You can convert to a .45 in which you can shoot 45 Colt, 45 Schofield and Cowboy 45 Special cartridges.  You have two ways to convert, an R & D style two piece converter or a Gated Conversion from Kirst Konverters.  The gated conversion is NOT simple.  The R & D type is pretty much "Drop In" with only minor fitting required.

You can only convert to one caliber.  45 is it.  My personal recommendation is Pietta.  More choices.  By the way, your Centaure is one of the best made replicas on the planet.  Take care of it.
@coffinmaker
Much obliged for the explanations. As others agree as well, I will leave the Centaure as it is - a C&B gun. Since it is a not so common model I wouldn't want to do any conversion work to it (least of all cutting a loading gate into the frame). I will convert a Pietta 1851 Navy clone in .44 RB to .45LC. I gather from you and others this is the only or at least the best option. I purchased this gun today from a friend. It is a 2015 manufacture new in the box (he decided percussion guns are too much work to shoot and got a Uberti Colt M1873 in .45LC instead). The Pietta seems good to go out of the box. Locks up good and cycles well with no apparent timing issues. How can I tell if it needs any additional set up, fitting or work done to it? I will shoot it and test it this weekend at the range.

Thank you everyone !

"A horse is a horse, it ain't make a difference what color it is" -  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 09:51:42 AM »

A Pietta replica of the SAA is a fairly competent gun right out of the box.  Normally, all a Pietta needs to be fun to play with is an after-market Main Spring.

Have Fun!!

Offline blackpowder

• Very Active Citizen
  • USN Veteran
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 10:18:26 AM »
greets!

It's been a while but after long consideration I decided to leave both my C&B guns, the Centaure and the Pietta, as they are and just buy a new open top conversion from Uberti (seems to be the only real choice). I checked Taylor's in VA as some have suggested. They have a nice homepage but almost nothing in stock. ::) Anyone have a suggestion who stocks a good selection of open top Colt clones ?
THANKS!

"A horse is a horse, it ain't make a difference what color it is" -  John Wayne

Advertisers

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:28:41 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2019, 04:08:45 PM »

Far as I know .... you only have a choice of two.  Taylors and Cimarron.  Try Cimarron.  Do keep in mind, a brandy Knew-two-ewe Open Top will require some ministrations.  Please refer to the excellent tutorial authored by the esteemed Larsen E. Pettifogger on "The Open Range."

Offline Northern Nomad

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »
This is the time of year when Cabella's and Midway C&B pistols go on sale. And I start the internal dialog... ;D
- Stay well

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2019, 08:19:28 PM »

Resistance is Futile.   YOU   WILL   BE   ASSIMILATED

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen