Author Topic: Uberti and Pietta "safety" durability and reliability  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti and Pietta "safety" durability and reliability
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:56:25 PM »
I'm really interested in getting a .357 SA.  Of course, I could just get a Ruger, but the Uberti and Pietta SAA interpretations interest me as well, particularly the Pietta.  I'm not really looking for a competition gun, but a general service shootin iron.

My question is about the reliability and durability of these two guns.  I know lots of people use them, but I actually have found very few written reports about their "safeties".  The Pietta transfer bar and the Uberti retractable firing pin.  Personally, I'm leery of the durability of such things  I know the Ruger has a transfer bar, but they've had decades to get it right, and they seem to have no real problems....that I've heard about.

What about the Pietta transfer bar?  It seems fairly simple, but if it is not made well and of durable materials, it could seriously leave you in the lurch.  I have read articles and reviews of the Pietta (usually from Traditions), and people seem VERY impressed with them, but these are out-of-the-box, first-range-test reviews.  I have seen no long-term reports of them at all, good or bad.

The Uberti retractable firing pin seems somewhat delicate, from what I can see, and I wonder how reliable it is in actual use.  Some say it's fine, others say it's of the Devil.  I've read how the linkage can be removed and a steel filler pin fitted in place so that you turn it into a fixed firing pin, if desired.

Is there anyone making a fixed firing pin, traditional SAA anymore?
The quickest reload is a second gun!

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks                                                                                       
Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Uberti and Pietta "safety" durability and reliability
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »

Absolutely.  Pietta.  The version of the Pietta with the Transfer Bar is only a small portion of their production.  The "Great Western II" by Pietta (EMF importer) is a dead ringer for a Second Generation Colt.  It's only concession to stupid safeties is a two position Cylinder Base Pin.  Very easy to eliminate.

To the best of my knowledge, Uberti no longer manufactures the SA without the "retractable" firing pin.

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »
 Thanks!  ;D

Soon after I wrote my first post, I discovered that the Great Western II had the standard firing pin arrangement, and people seem to adore them, usually with no problems whatsoever.

I'm still interested to know how the transfer bar and retractable pin fare in use.

Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:32:39 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 04:22:35 PM »
There were some posts not long ago either on here or SASS Wire where some folks talked about their Pietta transfer bars breaking.  Seems to be not uncommon.  The Piettas sold by EMF (GW-II as Coffinmaker mentioned) and Cimarron (Frontier line) are standard hammer.  From pretty much anyone else (big stores like Cabelas, etc) they will have the transfer bar.

Cimarron still sells the Uberti Model P with the standard hammer, but only in the Old Model (BP frame).

As for the Uberti retractable firing pin, I don't care for the idea of it myself, but it seems to be working okay.  There are a number of threads about that also.  Seems like most of the problems that did occur were trying to shoot them fast.  For non-competition at least I think they work fine.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 09:51:59 AM »

Pietta and Ruger Transfer Bars break.  Just the way it is.  When used for CAS, they break more often because of the abuse heaped onnum.  If the guns are just fun "Range Day" guns, the transfer bars may never break.

I'm not so sure about the long term reliability of the funky retracting firing pin Uberti dreamed up.  Since I am retired, I don't care.  I still don't like Uberti.  Were I to buy a Suppository Shooter today, it would be a Pietta.  I would still at the least, change out the Main Spring and cut the end off the base pin.  Not likely though.  I shoot Pietta Cap Guns.  Except for the two Conversions I just finished building.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »
Greetings My Good Stophel!

good to see you again , it's been a while....

If you are OK with "load 5" then I highly recommend the Pietta Great Western ( if buying new) . If you REALLY  REALLY like it, buy two, because , well,
look at the trend.

Howver, since you are handy, and I know you are from your prior posts, you might consider buying whatever you want and swapping out the wierd hammer
assembly with old timey style parts that can still be obtained (for now) .

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 05:20:57 PM »
Thanks, y'all.  That's kinda what I was expecting about the transfer bars.  I would much prefer a hammer block, but then I suppose you'd have to engineer a rebounding hammer to accommodate it...

Yeah, it's been a long time since I have been here (man, that profile picture of me is OLD!  :D ).  The last several years have been different for me, so I kinda drift in and out of stuff.... more out than in.  I have a Pietta 1860 that I'm intending to put an all steel triggerguard/grip frame on, and it's definitely not just bolt on stuff.  It's been sitting languishing for a year or more.  I gotta speed up the cylinder bolt drop some too.  Hiking and camping and .22's have pretty much been my outdoor occupations the past few years, so the only single action I've been shooting at all is my Single Six.

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 06:06:10 PM »
Oh yes, what about the hand/pawl spring?  Are they using the coil spring and plunger on the Great Western II, or the crummy crimped on leaf springs?

Of course!  duh, look at the parts schematic!   ;D  I see it has the coil spring and plunger! Excellent. 

I'm really figuring now to order one of these within the next couple of weeks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com