Author Topic: Slight timing problem.  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
Slight timing problem.
« on: June 28, 2019, 12:55:10 PM »
Is there a way I can slow down the bolt drop on a Uberti Cattleman. I recently bought a used one that hasn't been used a lot but does have a slight timing issue. The bolt is dropping onto the cylinder a bit early and leaving an indentation about I/8" long just before sliding into the trough for the cylinder lock up notch. The revolver functions fine and locks up on every chamber. I just would like to stop the indentation from getting deeper and eventually elongating the trough. Is it something I can do? I have been able to make minor repairs on some of my firearms before. I have made knives, built a few Hawken muzzleloading rifles from kits and such, but don't want to do something to further complicate the issue. Any advise or help would be appreciated. Thanks. 
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Slight timing problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 01:22:17 PM »
Hi Lou  :D

Maybe.  You will need to start with a new Bolt.  Sounds to me like someone has over-adjusted the bolt leg.  You will also want to check the bolt fits the cylinder notches.  Next item up for bids, when the gun is properly timed, it takes very little Trigger/Bolt spring to lock up.  The stock Uberti T/B spring is over-sprung.  Suggest you contact VTI and source a Pietta SA T/B spring.  Much lighter than a Uberti and much less prone to breakage.

Forgot.  You should also polish the sharp edges off the bolt head.  The trailing side of the bolt head should also be gently raidus'd to ease entry to the cylinder slot.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 01:52:41 PM »
Coffinmaker, Thanks for the reply.

The revolver was a trade in I picked up at the local gun shop. The guy at the gun shop told me they originally sold the revolver to the guy that traded it in and although he had shot it he didn't shoot it very much. The revolver needed a good cleaning when I got it. I don't think anyone has done any modifications to it but think it just came from the factory that way. I will check the things you have suggested. I have already polished the bolt surface and edges. I will also check for a lighter trigger spring.

The bolt appears to fit the cylinder notches very well and there is no indication the bolt is over traveling as there are no shiny spots or indentation on the trailing edge of the cylinder bolt notch. Cylinder lock up is good and tight.

Can my problem be corrected by slightly elongating the hand so it engages the ratchet sooner. I read in an old Guns & Ammo magazine that the timing could be slightly adjusted using that method.

I will also see about buying a new bolt.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:52:19 PM »

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 03:00:17 PM »
I knew a 'smith who would retard timing just slightly by spreading the legs of the bolt apart a bit.  This would make one leg "drag" a bit against the side of the frame, I think.  Probably not the best way, and the bolt leg can break off when you bend it, in which case you would move on to Coffinmaker's method, anyway.  :)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
I purchased a replacement bolt and lighter hammer/trigger spring from Cimarron Firearms and it fixed my timing issue. The revolver is now in perfect timing. I believe the previous owner of the revolver may have attempted to smooth up the action and honed too much on the bolt. There were two areas on the original bolt that appeared to have had some honing done. Replacing the original bolt with a new one put the revolver back to perfect timing.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
I would go coffinmakers route and start with a new bolt and fit it to the gun. That way it's right.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com