Author Topic: Looking for an Open Top?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Looking for an Open Top?
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
Search Gunbroker for "Uberti Russian"  you will find a new Open Top at a very reasonable price.  He had two, I bid on one and was the only bidder.  The gun arrived in excellent condition, and is a great shooter.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1159
Re: Looking for an Open Top?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 03:43:20 PM »
Omg Drydock

that is too tempting, please somebody else buy this thing quick
Thanks for the eye candy and posting trouble for us to get into !

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/817586683

Yhs prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »
Well, someone bid.  If from here, let us know how it turns out.  Mine was the best deal I've had in a long time.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:28:16 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »
I noticed early this AM someone did bid on it. Tempting at that price if it stays near its current price or a tad above. Several days left on it, put it on my 'watch list'-will have to observe its status. I see the seller has it listed as a Open Top 44 Russian/Colt. I assume he is indicating it is chambered in 44 Colt, but can also fire the shorter 44 Russian. Don't believe I've ever seen OT's chambered in 44 Russian only. CC
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 01:29:00 PM »
... Don't believe I've ever seen OT's chambered in 44 Russian only. CC

Actually there were some OT's years ago that had the barrels stamped "44 Russan".  I don't know if those would also chamber the .44 Colt

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:51:18 PM »
If it is the twin to the one I got, it is chambered and marked  ".44 Colt"  and will also chamber the Russian.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 02:52:51 PM »
I'll wade in here.  Stick my toe inna water as it twer.  Uberti has built The Open Top chambered in 44 Colt.  Marked 44 Colt.  Would not chamber 44 Special.  Uberti built some Open Tops marked 44 Russian.  Would chamber 44 Colt, not 44 Special.  Uberti has built some Open Tops clearly marked 44 Colt that would chamber anything, Special, Russian, Colt.  Almost anything goes.  My 44 Colt cylinders will chamber 44 Special.

I don't Care so long as I can get 44 Russian cases innum.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 08:03:09 PM »
I'll wade in here.  Stick my toe inna water as it twer.  Uberti has built The Open Top chambered in 44 Colt.  Marked 44 Colt.  Would not chamber 44 Special.  Uberti built some Open Tops marked 44 Russian.  Would chamber 44 Colt, not 44 Special.  Uberti has built some Open Tops clearly marked 44 Colt that would chamber anything, Special, Russian, Colt.  Almost anything goes.  My 44 Colt cylinders will chamber 44 Special.

I don't Care so long as I can get 44 Russian cases innum.

I'll wade back in! I've posted this info once before when it came up, but will do so again. Coffin is right about Uberti conversations and OT's being marked as they are. When I bought my Army frame OT in around 2007 I wanted one in 44 Special so as I could fire both 44 Spec and 44 Colt in it. In a phone conversation with Cimarron the rep advised me that their 44 Spec chambered OT's were marked 44 Colt as to many shooters buying the OT's were not happy with a 1871 some revolver marked 44 Spec, a cartridge that didn't come around until around 1907, more of that Per-Corr crap in my view. My OT is marked 44 Colt, but will chamber 44 Spec with ease. Ever since I've loaded the 44 Spec with smokeless powder and the 44 Colts with black, easier to ID SM from black loadings. (I did load up 50 rds though of 44 Spec with black just for cause to see how they compared to the black loaded 44 Colts. Didn't see any advantage).  I rarely shoot 44 Spec in it any more, those cases were transferred to use in a Ruger Super BlkHawk. When I bought my Army Richards II in 2008 I ordered it in 44 Spec and it is marked 44 Special, shoot mostly 44 black loaded rds in it also. I have no idea when Uberti/Cimarron quit this practice, maybe between my two purchases. Maybe still doing it-couldn't tell ya. So as Coffin posted, the Uberti OT's are marked in a variety of calibers, allowing you to chamber some of the 44 Colt marked to chamber 44 Special. I've never seen or heard of any just marked 44 Russian, but have no reason to doubt their existence. Anything marked 44 Colt or Special will take a 44 Russian of course and a 44 Spec marked one will chamber all three 44's. Footnote-I don't load or shoot 44 Russian, get along fine with my 44 Colt which is a tab case length longer than the Russian and a tad shorter than the Special. Just saying--now I gotta dry my feet off. ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 01:19:49 AM »
Well, someone got a good deal!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com