Author Topic: Dispatch from Camp Cloud Peak, Wyoming Territory  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dispatch from Camp Cloud Peak, Wyoming Territory
« on: June 18, 2019, 02:36:31 PM »
To: Commanding General Division of the Missouri
From: Brig. Gen. G. Crook, Dept. of the Platte Commanding
June 18, 1876

Sir:

I have the honor to report the results of the battle with hostile Sioux and Cheyenne, on June 17, inst, on Rosebud Creek.  Having departed my base at Camp Cloud Peak, at 3:00 o'clock that morning, my command and I marched to and crossed Rosebud Creek, stopping for breakfast thereat after sunrise.  Although there had been some skirmishes prior to departing camp, we were not inclined to believe a major force of hostiles was in the area.  As we ate, we heard gunshots, and our Shoshone scouts came galloping in shouting, "Heap Sioux! Heap Sioux!", whereupon a pitched battle ensued.  Having sent Van Vliet and Crawford to a bluff to the South, and sending Col. Wm. B. Royall and his battalion to the West and Capt. (Bvt. Col.) Anson Mills to my right flank, heavy fighting occurred.  Royall's battalion became heavily engaged, and it was with difficulty and with covering fire from my infantry, that they were able to extricate themselves.  In the process, Capt. (Bvt. Col.) Guy V. Henry was severely wounded in the face, and Trumpeter Snow wounded through both wrists, with the heaviest casualties in Meinhold's company of cavalry!  I fear Henry may not survive!*  I sent Mills down Rosebud Canyon, as there were reports of a large Indian village there.  However, due to the severity of the fighting, I sent my adjutant Lemly to recall him.  They found a break in the canyon and defiled out thereby, putting them behind the hostiles, whereupon the Indians withdrew. This was about 2:00 PM. 

We were victorious, as we held the battlefield!  Although I would have pursued the hostiles, I had a number of killed and wounded, and my troops had expended over 50,000 rounds of pistol, musket and carbine ammunition, and I deemed it advisable to return to my base camp. I am sending out my wounded.  In view of the ferocity of the hostiles, I have the honor to request that Wesley Merritt with his 5th Cavalry be sent to join up with me, with whatever scouts he may have, as Chief Washakie and his warriors have decided they have had enough fighting and have gone home.  I had hoped to link up with Gen. Terry with Custer's 7th and Col. Gibbon's column of infantry, but, in spite of having sent out a number of scouts and couriers, have been unable to locate Terry.  At least one of my patrols, under Lt. Sibley were ambushed and were only able to withdraw unscathed by abandoning their horses!  (You may receive an account of this by Mr. John Finnerty, correspondent for the Chicago Times, who accompanied the patrol.

Awaiting your reply, I am,
Your obt. servant,
George Crook,
Brig. Gen. Commanding the Dept. of the Platte

Via Trailrider, Capt. Cavalry

*Henry survived, although losing the sight in one eye, and served many more years on the frontier

  

Trailrider,

Bvt. Lt. Col., Cavalry, Commanding

Southern District

Dept. of the Platte,

Grand Army of the Frontier

Capt., USAF 1965-'69

Trailrider #896 

 Reply to this topic...
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Dispatch from Camp Cloud Peak, Wyoming Territory
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 06:24:48 AM »
*Henry survived, although losing the sight in one eye, and served many more years on the frontier
...And went on to become the military governor of Puerto Rico following the Spanish-American war.

Thank you for sharing this Col.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 10:52:24 PM »
They had some tough old dudes back then!  ;)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:21:03 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com