Author Topic: 1860 Open Top Conversion from Taylors & Co. Jammed new in box?  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Hammer on this gun is locked at a half cock and the cylinder is locked up.  Should I have any problems taking it apart to do further diagnosis?  What are some of the common problems found on these conversions made by Uberti?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: 1860 Open Top Conversion from Taylors & Co. Jammed new in box?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 03:06:44 PM »
First off make sure the wedge isn't jammed in too far shoving the barrel into the cylinder.  If it is still locked up, take off the barrel.  The bolt should not be locking the cylinder if actually at half cock, but look under the cylinder to make sure before removing it or it could leave a scratch. 

Where ya been?

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
Call or email them before doing anything you might get blamed for.

Advertising

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 11:57:55 AM »

PLUS ONE too Capt. Quirk

PLUS ONE too Abilene

If this gun is/was "New In Box" the good folks at Taylors owe you Warranty.  Before you take tools to it, call them and send it back.  Abilene told you how to get it apart.

I also agree with Abilene.  It's a Uberti built Open Top Colt pattern.  The arbor is too short and the wedge is tipping the barrel into the cylinder face jamming everything up.  Sooner, rather than later, you're going to have to correct Uberti's ABYSMAL Barrel to Arbor fit.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:01:17 AM »
Agree what Capt Quirk and Coffinmaker posted. Call first!!!! I read somewhere and was told by someone at Taylors once during a phone conversation with them that they check "All" outgoing firearms for function and any blatant fit and finish. If so Va Gentleman, maybe yours slipped through the cracks. I wouldn't touch it until calling Taylors, they're top notch from what I've read in customer service and personal experience.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 10:32:19 AM »

Allow me to also be a bit Jaundiced.  But first a CAVEAT.  Caveat:  From personal experience, Taylor's cooperation and customer service is exemplary.  First rate.  Fabulous.  Absolutely on top of the game.  However .....

Anyone at the importers .... Taylor's,  Cimarron,  EMF,  etc.  Whom tell you they look inside each and every package and check each and every item for function ..... be SHINING YOU ON!!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 12:15:06 PM »
In the years I've part-timed at Cimarron, I have helped pack a few guns and seen many, many more packed.  Every single gun is taken out of the box, looked over for cosmetics, and the action cycled.  That is a fact.  Can't speak for other importers.  Now, it is also a fact that sometimes people miss seeing things, especially in a hurry, and sometimes things happen during shipping.  I also know that when people call up to say that their NIB opentop or cap gun is locked up, they are told to check the wedge first.

Coffinmaker, I think the doctor can give you something for that jaundice.  :) 

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
Mebbe he likes looking like a Simpson... You don't know him  ;D

sfc rick

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »
My 2 cents..... I have bought a few from Cimarron and Taylors before. My only problem Open Top was a nickel plated one from Taylors which was locked up and it did not involve an arbor fit. Before I even attempted a repair I called Taylors and they fixed it within a week and sent it back to me. Great warranty service in my opinion. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com