Author Topic: Screwless frame Open Tops . . . not mentioned  (Read 1413 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Screwless frame Open Tops . . . not mentioned
« on: June 18, 2019, 12:19:34 AM »
Looking through the current GOTOW mag. and saw the article on the North/South presentation revolvers. Heavy engraving, special techniques for coloring, most prolific decor of Colt revolvers ever .  .  .   
 That's all cool and .  .  .  .  well cool and I appreciate the time and work that went into them but the thing that struck me the most is the main reason all this wonderful coverage is possible is .  .  .  .  they are screwless frames!!!  To me, that adds definite "COOL FACTOR" !!
  I have  (or had) original advertising about these revolvers and the fact that they are "screwless frames" was a big deal (and is a big deal) but no mention of it at all in the article!! Hmmmm .  .  .  .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Screwless frame Open Tops . . . not mentioned
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »

Heavens to Murgatroid Mike   :o

Wowzers.  I only gave that article a quick pass-over as I wasn't interested in those modern made heavily overdecorated "Colts."   ::).  Primarily, I don't like Uberti built Open Top guns, even though I own two sets (Open Tops and 1851 Cimarron Conversions).  Just not my cup of tea. 

After your comment, I went back and revisited the photographs.  NO SCREWS!!  So, now my curiosity is piqued.  Without screws, how did they put the clockworks together??  Did they (the builders) just weld over the screws once installed and make em forever then engraved over ??  Of course, they are just really fancy "Lookey Lookey" guns and were never intended to be fired so the actual mechanics are moot. 

Curious George am I   

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »
Guess I'm gonna have to look for that one on the stands.

Does seem pretty weird that feature would not be mentioned.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:53:08 PM »

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
Figured you'd  be somewhat interested  CM!
"Murgatroid" ! Lol!! Been a while since i heard that!!

Well, they weld up the exterior  screw hole opening,  drill down the frame to the screw hole (both sides of the frame of course), thread the new holes for set screws,  then open up the newly threaded  holes on the inside (slot it to the inside) so now pins (a la Ruger') can be dropped in and held in place with the set screws.
 The hammer is installed  the same way (from the back) but nobody has been able to tell me how a hand can be installed  when the hammer  has to be installed from the rear!! Anyway,  that's  how they do that and yes its "just fer lookin" but the Colt factory  did some 200+ of the "screwless" frames (3rd gens and 2nd gen open tops only, it's a "new" technique).

Abilene,  take a peek. It's  a little bit of "wow factor " but , you think that a "big deal" to leave out of an article is .  .  . kinda odd .  .  .   whatever  .  .  .  Lol!!

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »

GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN   :o

Well what's next.  Or last.  In ALL the years I worked on this guns I was completely unaware the folks at Colt had built such a novel item.  I be Gobsmacked.  Learn something new every day.  Ah well, maybe every week or something.

I don't see this item as something I'd want.  Certainly not something to work on.  Working on one would certainly be scary.  I would be especially concerned as I doubt the Barrel to Arbor fit.  I found the Colt reproductions they put their name on, to be just as bad a plain jane Uberti in that respect.

Of course we are back to the determination the guns were intended strictly as show pieces and were never intended to be play'd with.  While ascetically interesting and certainly a novelty, I just don't see the screw less layout as worthwhile except as a canvas for engravers.  Of course, we must also remember I'm jaundiced and a bit opinionated   ::)

I will not be first in line to acquire one   :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com