Author Topic: Jesse James last gun?  (Read 5053 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Jesse James last gun?
« on: June 02, 2019, 02:34:01 PM »
Jesse James' gun? Interesting to speculate. The first video is of a guy who says he has what might be Jesse James' last pistol.

The second video, by James Preservation Trust, seems to reference and dispute the pistol owned by the man in the first video.

Anyways I thought these were very interesting and just wondering what people think.

Offline ammodave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Jesse James last gun?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 04:21:36 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »
I see that the second video shown above was published several years before the first one was released.

I also wonder about the "blood" found under the grips.  I believe that it is commonly accepted that Jesse was unarmed at the time that he was killed.  I wonder how the "blood" so thoroughly soaked the grips of "his" gun...

I am by nature a skeptic, but even if I wasn't, I'd be skeptical of this one.  I seem to remember hearing of a bar in NM that displayed a revolver.  A sign claimed that it was very rare in being one of the few in NM that did NOT belong to Billy the Kid.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:32:18 AM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »
It would be easy to confirm.   Test the blood on the grip with Jesse James's DNA which was performed during the reburial to put to rest (did not work) the theories he ran off to Texas to live to a ripe old age.   The DNA is on record and almost any reputable lab could do it.   

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »
ammodave, thanks for posting that link to the S&W forum. Here is a link from the S&W forum showing that the revolver sold at auction for $670,050. Yikes, over half a million! That's pretty good for a guy who just bought an old gun to use in CAS.

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewitem.php?item=4159

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:18:54 PM »
I just finished reading the S&W thread. People are very skeptical as am I. The main thing I wonder though is somebody out there has that manilla envelope with the provenance inside. I wonder if the bidder already has the provenance, or access to it, and that's why he bid so high? No way to know but that would explain the high bid.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 09:29:56 AM »
I seem to remember hearing of a bar in NM that displayed a revolver.  A sign claimed that it was very rare in being one of the few in NM that did NOT belong to Billy the Kid.

CC Griff

Griff, that's the best laugh I've had in some time. Thanks!

As for the guy in the first video, don't he just wish. (smile)

Dave

Offline Oldgold

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 06:57:06 PM »
Didn’t the widow of Wyatt Earp, on a regular basis, sell off pistols she bought in pawn shops? She sold them as the authentic Wyatt Earp pistol or so the rumors go.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »
Frank James gave their mother a barrel full of revolvers that she could sell as having belonged to Jesse, and Bat Masterson regularly bought Colt SAAs from St. Louis pawn shops to sell as the one having been used at the OK Corral.

These waters have been muddied long ago...

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »
Double sucker play .... Masterson was not at the OK Corral.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »

Folks have been hawking "The Guns" of the famous Outlaws, Gamblers and Lawmen Since the day after they died.  There are actually very few that have reasonable provenance.  Lots and lots of faque.

Buyer beware.  P. T. Barnum covered it nicely.

Incidentally, If you happen to be flush at the moment, I have a really good deal on a Large Bridge over on the West Coast   ::)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 08:08:54 PM »
 MR. Coffin,, surely your not talk'n about that loooong bridge i'n been making monthly payments on ,, and was told once I made my last payment ,, I can start charging " per car,truck ,etc. ?? ;)

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »

;D  Naw   :D   Not that one.  There is another one just a little further up the Bay.  Still available to the discerning Punter looking for a really sound investment.  Similar terms and conditions though.  The last buyer started charging "per vehicle" long before making the last payment though.  No class at all.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 04:12:38 PM »
I had a pair of Roy Rogers nickel plated six guns once, which included a double holster rig. Said right on the box Roy Rogers, don't know the caliber--the box of roll caps my Mom bought for shootin them didn't specify caliber!!!  :o :o ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »
I had those! There were two holsters and belts, one left and one right. Came with cuffs as well! Sure wish I had them now!
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 06:57:00 PM »
I still have one of the guns, found it in one of my Dad's farm out buildings 10-15 years ago. Still in pretty good shape, a tad bit of muzzle ding. Couldn't tell if it was the left or right one though, holster missing.  :o ::) ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 10:09:34 PM »
New video I found on this gun.

Offline paperchaser

• Retired
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #: 54926
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 03:51:31 PM »
I had a pair of Roy Rogers nickel plated six guns once, which included a double holster rig. Said right on the box Roy Rogers, don't know the caliber--the box of roll caps my Mom bought for shootin them didn't specify caliber!!!  :o :o ;D ;D

Had a pair just like 'em. LOL  ;D
SASS #54926
N.R.A. Pistol Instructor
Mississippi Peacemakers

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 09:49:21 AM »
...and Bat Masterson regularly bought Colt SAAs from St. Louis pawn shops to sell as the one having been used at the OK Corral.

Since a large part of this thread is about authenticity allow me a minor correction. Bat Masterson ended his life as a sports writer in New York City, covering the boxing game. He bought those gun in NYC, not St Louis, and he sold them as belonging to the legendary gunfighter...Bat Masterson. No claims about that silly corral that didn't have a gun fight. And technically he was not cheating anyone. Every gun he sold did indeed belong to Bat Masterson...for a day or two. (smile)

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com