Author Topic: Cimarron Model P Cylinder Pin Question  (Read 2901 times)

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Cimarron Model P Cylinder Pin Question
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:26:40 PM »
I just ordered a Cimarron Model P charcoal blue finish and was wondering if anybody knew where I could get a cylinder base pin without the safety notch? I know I could modify the one that comes with it and may have to go that route but was wondering if anybody makes one that is readily available ? My finish choice may make it difficult too.....
"Never run a bluff with a six-gun".....Bat Masterson

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
Re: Cimarron Model P Cylinder Pin Question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:51:33 PM »
VTIgunparts.com

p/n is UB:400021/noSafety for $18.

It won't be charcoal blued.  If you have a torch and some quenching oil I think you could fire-blue it yourself. 

Cutting down the factory pin is pretty simple.  If you want to be able to return it to "new" then order a spare charcoal pin from Cimarron.

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »
There is 2 different ones . One just says base pin no safety and the other says base pin no safety round head style. Which one do I need to be the most authentic and will they work with my old model style frame ??

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:10:14 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 05:04:29 PM »
Look again.  The second one says w/safety.  The no safety is the one they describe as round head.

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
Looked again and still see the same. Is the round head the correct one ya think?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »
Lets see if this helps.  I think that here is the VTI page that you're talking about: https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=23&cat=Uberti+1873+Cattleman+SAA+and+Target

I'm attaching a screenshot of that page with the key words underlined.  Hopefully I'm being helpful here and not confusing things further...

Personally, I just cut/grind off the end of my base pins and they work just fine.  You can't see the difference until you remove them and see two notches for the base pin screw.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 06:49:51 PM »
My last custom order from Cimarron I got lucky and it came with the one without the extra notch. I guess I caught them between the change from the old and new style action and I'm assuming the ones with the new style action doesn't have the safety base pin.

Scared me when I took it out of the box until I worked the action to make sure it was the old style action.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »
CC Griff, yeah, that's the page I was referring to.  Maybe MikeM is looking on another page.

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 08:17:20 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
I don't know how you came up with more than 2 listings for any particular model, unless it has something to do with using a phone.  Now, by doing a search on VTI's site for the p/n UB:400021, comes up with 4 listings.  The two that both say no safety have the same p/n except one has a capital N:

UB:400021/noSafety
UB:400021/NoSafety

The first one with the small n is the one that says round head.  I don't have my guns with me to check but I think they are all round head?  Both my Cimarrons and my Colts.  I don't know what other style they would carry for a SAA. Personally, I think those two p/n's are the same part with slightly different descriptions. 

And by the same token, I think the other two p/n's with safety are also the same part with two different p/n's:

UB:400021/w
UB:400021/wSafety

You could call them and ask to be sure.  And if you do order from them, to take advantage of combining shipping, order one of their reduced power mainsprings as well.  Your gun will feel much better!  Two of my 4 Colts have had action jobs and none of my Ubertis (Cimarrons) have, but every one has a lighter mainspring in it!

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 10:22:12 PM »
Ok , thanks !

Offline santino34

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »
I have a question regarding this topic.  I have a Uberti Cattleman and 2 ASM Heritage models all with black powder frames.  I believe the pins on all 3 have the safety notch.  When assembled properly, should the end of the pin be flush with the rear of the frame under the hammer or slightly recessed inside the frame?  I have been experimenting with the screw and pin position and so far having the screw engaging the second notch with the pin recessed seems to be the sweet spot.  Am I correct?

Offline santino34

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 12:24:53 PM »
Correction:  Hartford Model not Heritage

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
How far the base pin protrudes through the rear of the frame may vary by who made it and when.  But the "sweet spot" should be regarding the screw fit into the groove in the pin.  If it isn't in exactly the right place (sweet spot) it may come loose from firing.  That makes these two-position basepins a little more problematic for BP-framed Ubertis.  And that is another good reason to shorten the rear of the pin to eliminate the "safety", because with the pin pushed all the way in, that is exactly the sweet spot for that groove.  Looks better, too.  :)  If using the two-position pin, turn the screw in part way, then slide the pin forward and backward and stop where it feels centered, then turn the screw in a bit, then slide the pin in and out again, and repeat until the screw is tight and you won't be able to slide the pin.  I've heard (but have not thought to verify it yet in my recently acquired Kuhnhausen Colt book, which is 95 miles away as I type this) that the Colt design was such that with the screw tight, you could still rotate the pin in the frame by hand.  That means the head of the screw is bottoming out in the frame instead of the end of the screw bottoming out against the groove of the pin.   Of my two BP-framed Ubertis, one pin will turn, the other won't.

Offline santino34

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
Hey thanks for the help!  I have the screw in as far as it will go on my Uberti and it not only rotates, it also moves in and out about a 1/4 inch.  I am sure its on the correct spot on the pin tho.  My ASM guns do move at all.  Their pin screw is pointed at the tip where the Uberti's is blunt and rounded at the tip.  Also,  I checked the VTIgunparts.com site and they do not list a pin without the safety for the ASM guns.  Will a Uberti pin without the safety fit my ASM guns?  Thanks again.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 06:00:29 PM »
Well, since you have both ASM and Uberti, it should be pretty quick and easy to find out if the base pins interchange!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com