Author Topic: Excellent Book on Cuba and Philippines  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Excellent Book on Cuba and Philippines
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:19:32 AM »
I am currently reading an excellent book, written by a man who was there: Maj Gen Frederick Funston.  It is available from Amazon for $20 paperback, $28 hardback, and for those of you with Kindle, the e-version is only .99.
https://www.amazon.com/Memories-Two-Wars-Philippine-Experiences-ebook/dp/B01M8FFRR6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=24T7ONWAKIDGA&keywords=memories+of+two+wars&qid=1555947521&s=gateway&sprefix=memories+of+two+wars%2Caps%2C552&sr=8-6

The book was originally written in 1911.   About 550 pages.   It is written more as an "adventure/I was there" story, rather than as a military history, or treatise on strategy and tactics.  It does not cover his later adventures in Mexico.

"Fighting Freddy" Funston served as an American "filibuster" (mercenary) with the Cuban Insurgents against Spain in the years before the U.S. got involved in Cuba.  He returned to the U.S. just prior to the Spanish-American War, to recover from malaria, and to brief military leaders on the conditions there.  When Pres. McKinley called for State Volunteers, Fuston was approached by Kansas Governor John Leedy to serve as Colonel commanding the 20th Kansas Volunteer Infantry, to be sent to the Philippines.  The 20th departed for the Philippines in November of 1898, and were among the first to engage with Filipino Insurrectos beginning in Feb 1899.  While assaulting the Insurrecto forces at Calumpit that April, Fuston and two other soldiers of the 20th KVI swam the Pampanga River under heavy fire, to secure cables to allow the crossing of the rest of the 2nd Division by raft.  For this action, the three men were awarded the Medal of Honor, and Funston promoted to Brigadier General of Volunteers. 

Funston later was instrumental in the capture of Insurrecto leader, and self-proclaimed "President" of the Philippines, Emilio Aguinaldo.  Funston was confirmed as Brigadier General, US Regulars, and after returning from the Philippines, served as Commanding General of the Presidio at San Francisco.  During the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, Fuston organized rescue and recovery efforts, and is credited with saving hundreds of lives, and preventing the spread of the fires.  His heavy-handed handling of looters ("shoot on sight") was controversial.

Later promoted to Major General, he was Commanding General of U.S Forces in Mexico 1914-1916, and the Punitive Expedition in the hunt for Pancho Villa.  He was at the top of Wilson's "short list" to lead the AEF in the case of America's entrance into World War I, however he dropped dead of a heart attack in San Antonio in Jan 1917 at the age of 51.  He was replaced by his subordinate, Gen John "Black Jack" Pershing.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Excellent Book on Cuba and Philippines
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:13:15 AM »
Reading Gen Funston's book, he states their regiment (20th KVI) was issued a limited amount (about 20,000 rounds) of "semi-smokeless" ammunition for their .45-70s. Doesn't state if it was Government-manufactured, or commercially procured.  I believe King's Mill made powder they named "semi-smokeless".  The ammo was issued to selected skirmishers and designated marksmen.  Just before their return to the States (fall, 1899), Krags began filtering in.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 09:08:29 AM »
My Second grade teacher was Mrs. Funston. She was of Philippine decent. I've always wondered if there was a connection
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:54:31 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 11:21:36 AM »
Possibly a family who wished to honor the general?
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 11:35:25 AM »
Her husband was Caucasian
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 02:06:37 PM »
The ebook version may be available to read online or download for free at other locations like this one: https://archive.org/details/cu31924023511375

Or this one: https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=rK4-AAAAYAAJ&rdid=book-rK4-AAAAYAAJ&rdot=1

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 06:29:14 PM »
The ebook version may be available to read online or download for free at other locations like this one: https://archive.org/details/cu31924023511375

Or this one: https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=rK4-AAAAYAAJ&rdid=book-rK4-AAAAYAAJ&rdot=1

CC Griff
I downloaded it. Thanks.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »
The Preface alone is priceless! 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com