Author Topic: Question about image in Marcot book  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question about image in Marcot book
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:13:27 AM »
I was reading through Marcot's book on the Spencer (What a magnificent resource btw).. and noticed on page 192 there are 2 labels pictured... Both labels are C&T.
My question relates to the paragraph just above the labels...

Marcot states..

"Boxes of C & T cartridges were identical to the ones supplied earlier by the Spencer Company except that each was affixed with the C & T label. The early boxes were marked Crittenden & Timbals: later ones show the name changed to Crittenden & Tibbals Manufacturing Company.

When looking at the illustrated labels ,which are very different, they both say Crittenden & Timbals MFG. Co.
so is Marcot referring to a label that is not illustrated when he refers to the "early boxes or is it a typo with the top label being the early one??  The top label is earlier but is there another one not being shown? 

Maybe I am missing something here..

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Question about image in Marcot book
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:09:20 PM »
Cannonman1, You are missing something. The boxes on page 192 are indeed C&T boxes and are captioned as such , and are (top) 56-56 and (bottom) 56-52. The box that was being referred to is on page 189.
  The picture captions also have the dates of the boxes. The ones on page 192 are the 1864-5 boxes. The one on page 189 is 1862.

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 05:52:34 AM »
Question I have is that the label on page 189 is a Chickering label and not a C&T label ??  My confusion is with the statement that the "Manufacturing" was added when all the illustrated C&T labels have the MFG on them (except the .44 label on page 188) but I doubt they are referring to that.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:34:54 AM »

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »
The Chickering label is the Spencer address for Spencer supplied cartridges. The C&T label is for C&T supplied cartridges.
  I think that is were your confusion lies.

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 06:26:53 PM »
Let me rephrase my question..
Is the image on page 192 of the earlier C&T latel (top one made in 1864/5, the first 56/56 label they made??  That is all I really want to know.. LOL

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 08:25:37 AM »
I believe that the earlier label will be like the 44-40 lablel on the previous pages. At least by the description provided in the text.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com