Author Topic: Parts interchangeability and hello  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Englishman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Parts interchangeability and hello
« on: May 16, 2019, 06:03:25 AM »
Hello Sirs, thankyou for having me.

I firstly wanted to say hello, my main interest at this point is in original Winchester 1876 rifles, hence my introduction post here. Apologies if this is the wrong way to do things.

Secondly, I have a question regarding Uberti parts for the 1876 rifle; will some parts interchange with the original Winchester 1876? At this stage I am wondering about the mainspring, the left and right side toggle and the wood stocks.

I really love the old WInchester 1876 and for me it embodies the attractiveness of the 1873 and the power or it's single shot contemporaries and later repeaters.

I am in the hunt for one and that is why I wondered about parts for the Uberti fitting a WInchester; if I can get one that needs a few parts etc, I would buy it if I can get parts.

Once I get one, I can load pictures up for you.

Thanks

Englishman

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Parts interchangeability and hello
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 08:43:57 AM »
Welcome to our little community! I can't answer your question, but others who can will soon be around. Good luck finding your rifle.
King Medallion

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:37 AM »

Uberti bits are NOT interchangeable with Original Winchester.  Except perhaps the front sight   ::)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:13:07 PM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »
Check with Winchester Bob for parts.  I have bought a few pieces from his site and they did work.  Maybe not perfect drop-ins but they worked in the end.  See link  ---  http://winchesterbob.com/?page_id=55.
Black River Smith

Offline Englishman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 05:33:44 AM »
Thanks team.

Seems that spares aren't so hard to come by and I guess any minor issues with the gun could be worked on and remedied etc.

I am outside of the US and I did find a vendor other than winchester bob who will ship overseas.

I handled an 1876 some time back, it seems to me that the mainspring on old guns gets very stiff, this one was near impossible to cock with one hand in the lever like normal. Have any of you encountered this before?

Thanks for having me and for the help, the more I read about the 76, the more I need one!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »
Englishman,

Check the mainspring tension screw.  See if any adjustment makes a change in hammer cocking and then lever cocking pressure.  Also find a video on the lever spring camming tension and adjustment.  One of the screws on the bottom front of the receiver (I think left).
Black River Smith

Offline Englishman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 05:51:45 AM »
Thanks Black River Smith.

If I end up purchasing it, I will be sure to check the tension screws. I am leaning toward getting it.

I have notice that the brass cartridge elevator is not perfectly flush when the action is closed, the front part of it seems to angle down very slightly and sticks out approx 1-1.5mm from the bottom of the receiver. Does this indicate any particular issue or type of wear?

I would not imagine it would be a major issue, and parts seem to be available.

It has a nice even brown patina, no major pitting in the bore, visible rifling, timber very nice.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »
Englishman,

There are others on here that are better at working on these design than me, so I hope they comment and help you more.  But if it is only 1.5mm of exposed lifter than I do not believe it will hinder the action or functioning.  There are several things that could come into play with this.  The other front receiver screw (right one) is the lifter camming screw this affects the lifter pressure.  The other part is the actual lifter arm.  This armature attaches to the lever and runs into the lifter body cavity.  This is the place to start checking for any wear of the arm or the internal cavity of the brass lifter itself.

Not the best technical answer but without seeing the rifle it is hard to direct a proper fix or determine if it will affect functioning.

Again check youtube for videos on working on Win 1873's or 1876's.  The same basic mechanical operation.

Hope this helps you out.

PS:  Here is a starting point     http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Model66.html
Black River Smith

Offline Englishman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 06:33:03 AM »
Thanks Black River Smith.

My thoughts are that even if it is an issue, it is fixeable and these guns are old, so a little tuning is expected. Secondly, even if a part needed replacing, they are available or able to be made etc, so not an insurmountable issue there.

I will be deciding in the next few days if I can afford it, so will report back and can upload photos etc.

Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com