Author Topic: RELOADING THE 45 COLT  (Read 151 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
RELOADING THE 45 COLT
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:21:42 am »
Have some further tidbits of pertinent thruput.

Some time back ... OD#3 shamed me into trying Annealing my 45 Colt cases to help with the ubiquitous Blow-By one encounters shooting 45 Colt in Rifles.  Extra-Specially Uberti Rifles.  B-Cause if you gotz a Uberti Rifle in 45 Colt U-Gotz Blow-By.

I believe I previously reported success with Annealing as a means to control (eliminate) Blow-By.  Well, since this season started, I have shot the same Henry rifle in all of this seasons matches.  A 45 Colt Henry rifle.  Too date, All cleaning has entailed has been to swab out the bore.  The Carrier Block and it's attendant Mortice have required no more than a drop of oil.  NO gun gas nor fouling has escaped the chamber.  Voonderbar!!!  WHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (Hicup)

SO!!  Now Oh Dee Tre's,  Zactly what am I suppose to do with all these 44-40 cases I have fire formed into 45 Colt???  They achieve (mostly) the same thing but cost more.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:26:39 am by Coffinmaker »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
Re: RELOADING THE 45 COLT
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:32:27 am »
Reform them back to .44-40, or even to .38-40. I you or a frienf needs them.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
Re: RELOADING THE 45 COLT
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:42:10 pm »
Howdy All You Big Bore Shooters
I had the same problem as Coffinmaker with blow back in my oversized chamberUberti rifle.
Since the .44-40 does not blow back and those cases have a very thin neck my thought was why not use .44-40 cases blown out to .45 Colt. It just might be the thin case would obturate sufficiently and seal the chamber.

It took some experimentation (and ruined cases) to open the case neck to size but I will be dad blamed it didn?t work. These cases run through my Uberti slick as can be the lifter stays clean but those cases will  not work in a .45 Colt Single Action. Presumably something about case head size.

Some one gave me an idea to try for annealing. Fill an electric lead pot with clean dry sand,. Then heat that up to a proper temperature and use the hot sand  to heat treat the case necks. If that would work, and I see no reason why not, it would be safer than using lead and a lot cooler than a burner.
Just my random thoughts
Yr? Obt? Svt?
Bunk