Author Topic: Have you used Lee bullets with smokeless or some other lube than their Alox.  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
Decided to Delete my original posting.

editted
Black River Smith

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

what is wrong with the Lee Lube?  I use it on other bullets and have driven them to 2000 fps in a 375 Winchester Big Bore.  I Luble them twice and dust them with powdered mica lice the Hornaday swaged ones.  If they need to be protected from dust and such I wipe the bullet of the loaded round with acetone or similar solvent.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Del,

Thanks for the reply.  The reason is the Lee Alox lube I have is 30 years old and I have a lot of ingredients for making most of the common homemade lubes on the wires.  Don't know if you remember, back about 2 years, I was working to creating a lube that would stay on the bullet up to 104 degrees.  Well I want to stay with something I chose.  I just was interested in whether someone already tried putting lube on the shallow Lee grease grooves.

I will just try some and see what happens after we are done with this quiet time.
Black River Smith

Advertising

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
OK, makes sense now, many think it's only for low velocity loads. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
Lubed with a BP lube they will have adequate lube for at least a 20" barrel. Smokiless lube should be no different. I find their design to be one of the best for ease of loading and feeding in the rifle.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
wildman1,

Your comment is what I was looking to hear.  I know it is just a guess but....  Two are 26" and the other is 32".  That was my concerns.

I look at the bullet and think that upon loading I will be scraping most of the lube out of the grooves(that maybe excessive) or it will be left in the cartridge neck.  But you get my points.
Black River Smith

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
If you are using BP you probably should run a wet patch down the barrel between stages just to keep the fouling softened up at least in a dry climate like here. AZ
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Unfortunately these are strictly for smokeless loads and general shooting, since I no longer shoot CAS.
Black River Smith

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Then you should be good to go no matter what lube you use. I currently am using the LEE 125 in my rifle with smokiless powder and lube.
wM1

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I soften up my Lee Alox bullet lube in the microwave before use.

Call Lee and ask about your 30 year old lube, or just buy some new Lee Alox.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Lubed with a BP lube they will have adequate lube for at least a 20" barrel. Smokiless lube should be no different. I find their design to be one of the best for ease of loading and feeding in the rifle.
wM1

We have a LEE 44/40 mold and yes like it the best for feed and loading - have used it for some BP loads but not enough to recommend yay or nay - did not have any real problem with the lube stripping from the grooves - we mostly use 50/50 beeswax and neatsfoot - after a few remelts it gets kinda sticky - we pan lube and use a cookie cutter (hear guys push em out of the lube with their finger - that would not work at my place - there would be half filled lube grooves all over the place) We use the same lube for any smokeyless loads we make - when I started casting 50some years ago I used pure beeswax lube in my 32/20 cut em out of the pan before they cooled right out - all was fine - real nice smell when they shot too. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com