Author Topic: Winchester Miroku !873  (Read 2474 times)

Offline dddrees

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester Miroku !873
« on: April 23, 2019, 06:58:11 AM »
Received this one just a few months ago.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Re: Winchester Miroku !873
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 08:44:45 AM »
They are really nice rifles. How does yours shoot?
 8)

Offline dddrees

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:07:36 AM »
Unfortunately I've yet to make to the range this year.  :'(

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:55:33 AM »

Offline Don Kenna

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »
I?ve had nothing but good luck with mine?a straight gripped full length rifle and a short rifle.  I shoot black powder in black powder cartridge rifle side matches out to 300 yards.  That latter range is stretching things considerably for the .44/40 cartridge, but my Miroku/Winchester 1873 does very well?especially when I do my part.  Of course, immediately after an initial function check, I ditched the factory sights in favor of a Montana Vintage Arms Soule tang sight and a globe front.  The MW 1873?s tang is properly factory drilled ant tapped for tang sights, which most if not all Italian replicas were not.

Offline dddrees

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »
I?ve had nothing but good luck with mine?a straight gripped full length rifle and a short rifle.  I shoot black powder in black powder cartridge rifle side matches out to 300 yards.  That latter range is stretching things considerably for the .44/40 cartridge, but my Miroku/Winchester 1873 does very well?especially when I do my part.  Of course, immediately after an initial function check, I ditched the factory sights in favor of a Montana Vintage Arms Soule tang sight and a globe front.  The MW 1873?s tang is properly factory drilled ant tapped for tang sights, which most if not all Italian replicas were not.

I've given some thought to a tang sight but as of yet haven't decided which route I want to take. That and some other purchases have gotten in the way. I think what I may have to do is first give it a go without and go from there.

Offline Don Kenna

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 07:14:05 AM »
Note that by "initial function check," I meant that I took it to the range and fired it with the factory iron sights.  I knew I wouldn't like them, but wanted to make sure everything else on the rifle was working properly.

As far as what tang sight you might want, that depends upon what you intend the rifle's primary use to be.  My 1873 short rifle wears a Montana Vintage Arms (MVA) copy of the Marble's flexible tang sight, and a Beach combination front.  That should be a fine hunting sight, and should be very good for any type of Cowboy Action Shooting.  I will mention that I routinely replace factory rear barrel sights on my lever action rifles with a Marble's 95 folding leaf rear barrel sight rather than a slot blank.  The latter sight is historically appropriate for all lever action rifles from the 1873 onward and gives the shooter the option of using an open barrel sight if such is wanted.

On the full-length rifle, I installed a globe front and, after buying an MVA vernier sight base, installed one of the firm's least sophisticated vernier sight staffs that I happened to have on hand.  That tang sight proved unsatisfactory, and I soon ordered a Soule mid-range staff to replace it.  I intended from the start to use that rifle to fully exploit all the accuracy and range I could get out of a .44/40 in match shooting, and the sight arrangement has not disappointed for that purpose.  With a post front sight insert, it could certainly be used for hunting, although it might very well prove awkward for close-range snap shooting.  While I am not a Cowboy Action Shooter, I think this sight arrangement would prove miserably ineffective for any scenario in that discipline.

Offline dddrees

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
Note that by "initial function check," I meant that I took it to the range and fired it with the factory iron sights.  I knew I wouldn't like them, but wanted to make sure everything else on the rifle was working properly.

As far as what tang sight you might want, that depends upon what you intend the rifle's primary use to be. My 1873 short rifle wears a Montana Vintage Arms (MVA) copy of the Marble's flexible tang sight, and a Beach combination front.  That should be a fine hunting sight, and should be very good for any type of Cowboy Action Shooting.  I will mention that I routinely replace factory rear barrel sights on my lever action rifles with a Marble's 95 folding leaf rear barrel sight rather than a slot blank.  The latter sight is historically appropriate for all lever action rifles from the 1873 onward and gives the shooter the option of using an open barrel sight if such is wanted.

On the full-length rifle, I installed a globe front and, after buying an MVA vernier sight base, installed one of the firm's least sophisticated vernier sight staffs that I happened to have on hand.  That tang sight proved unsatisfactory, and I soon ordered a Soule mid-range staff to replace it.  I intended from the start to use that rifle to fully exploit all the accuracy and range I could get out of a .44/40 in match shooting, and the sight arrangement has not disappointed for that purpose.  With a post front sight insert, it could certainly be used for hunting, although it might very well prove awkward for close-range snap shooting.  While I am not a Cowboy Action Shooter, I think this sight arrangement would prove miserably ineffective for any scenario in that discipline.

To be honest I think I am more intrigued by the idea of having one than may actually be practical since this particular rifle is only a 357 anyways and it's intended purpose is as a range toy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com