Author Topic: My base pins jumping  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My base pins jumping
« on: April 18, 2019, 12:20:46 AM »
I got awa 45 colt a while back that came with two base pins and they both come forward after a shot or two. Ive never had this problem myself is there a quick fix home remedy anyone knows of? Thanks

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
Re: My base pins jumping
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 01:27:06 AM »
You may try taking the base pin latch assembly out and giving it a critical examination.   The side that slides into the base pin groove may be worn down. There may be junk or burrs keeping it from going in all the way.  The spring may be weak and need replaced.  They make stronger springs to help the latch performance.

I have a Pietta that I give the base pin latch an extra push when the base pin is replaced to make sure it slid all the way in.  Often it doesn't seat all the way under its own power.  Once it's fully bottomed out, it holds the base pin securely.

Also, the groove in the base pin could be worn rounded on the edge. 

So annoying is it to have base pin jump forward,  I make my own that won't jump forward.

Offline Hondo44

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
When a gun has a base pin jumping problem, it has a base pin to latch fit problem. Personally I've never had to use an aftermarket pin in any of my numerous single actions and consider it a waste of money.

Properly fitting the base pin is just another item on my tuning checklist for any acquired SA, new or used.  If the latch doesn't keep the pin from moving forward under recoil, here's the test for proper fit. I never compensate for poor fit with heavier springs or oversize base pins.

Testing for proper fit:

Remove the base pin and cyl. Make sure the two latch halves are tightened.
Push the latch and release it, notice if it returns all the way and with no stickiness.
Make a pencil mark on the side of the latch button even with the frame when in the released position.
Look thru the base pin hole; can you see the latch protruding into the pin hole? If it only protrudes slightly, the latch hole in the right side of the frame is not drilled deep enough.

Now install the base pin and release the latch. Does the latch return to the same position as w/o the pin installed, so that you can see the full pencil mark on the button. If not, the latch is not completely engaging the groove in the base pin. The base pin groove must be deepened. Chuck pin in a power drill and deepen with a rat tail file of matching diameter to the groove. Cover the file with 400 to 600 grit paper and polish the groove. Do this until the latch releases all the way out with pin installed.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:42:13 AM »

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »
I had a base pin that jumped forward on one of my new Ruger Vaqueros back in 2005.  I just stretched the base pin spring, reassembled it and no problem since.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 11:05:40 PM »
If all else fails, Belt Mountain will solve the problem.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 10:14:26 PM »
Thank you gentleman!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com